I've Been Diagnosed With Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blurrby, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Blurrby
      Doubtful

Blurrby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Hello, my name is Brian.

I've been just diagnosed with tinnitus, don't know what to do. Just started reading about this.. I can't stop the sound in my ear.

How can I make it go away? Did any of you manage to ease it up a bit?

I am pretty desperate so sorry for my silly writing..

2. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      Welcome to the Bad Luck Club. A club nobody wants
      to enter.
      First of all you have to calm down. I have this for almost 20 years and still alive. You are facing a complex problem and you must be aware you have a big challenge to deal, but you have to face it, because there's no other way.
      The first step is accept the sound and try to cope with it. I don't know why high is the sound you listen to, and what seems loud to you could be mild to other fellow. Each people has a different kind of T and noise or perception of it varies from hiss to crickets and other kind of sounds . The number of people who have T and it goes away it's very low. Hope it's not your case, but the chance it goes away it's not very high. Now you are stressed and stress it's one of the worst things for people with T, so first of all try to relax.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Aighton
      Inspired

Aighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Hello Brian,

First thing you need to do is calm down because if your being desperate it will increase.
      And it will get better if your calming down :)

4. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Hi,you won't calm down at the start,so see your doctor for tablets to help with sleeping and anxiety.You will calm down over the next few weeks,you will then be on a journey to live with it.I know it seems unfair,but it will get easier.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Blurrby, and welcome! I'm so sorry you've recently been diagnosed with tinnitus, and are having anxiety problems. Most of us with tinnitus were frightened and anxious in the beginning, but with the passage of time, things usually settle down.

In the meantime, here are some things you can do:
      1. Read the "Don't Panic" guide on the main page, upper right hand side, of this forum. There, you'll find lots of helpful information and tips for dealing with tinnitus.
      2. Consider asking your doctor for a sleep aid and/or an anti=anxiety pill for short term use. Or, you could try a natural supplement, such as melatonin for sleep, or pharma GABA or holy basil for calming. Magnesium has also worked well for me. I take two magnesium chloride tablets every night before bed. It helps me relax, and get sleepy naturally.
      3. Have some type of background sound in your environment at all times, particularly when tinnitus is new. It will help you mask the tinnitus, and cope with it much better. You can try a sound app, or perhaps even a sound machine. Water sounds work particularly well for many of us.
      4. You could ask your doctor for a prescription for Prednisone. In early tinnitus, it can help reduce the sound, especially if it is due to inflammation.
      5. Consider taking NAC (N-acetlycistene), a natural supplement that helps protect your ears from further damage, and may help take the edge off the sound.
      6. Find a support system to help you through this rough time. If you don't have anyone around you who understands, you can always come here for support 24/7. We understand what you're going through.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Best wishes,
      Karen

6. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Brian, welcome.

A couple of preliminary questions. How do you think you got T? How loud is it? Can you only hear it in quiet situations or does it interfere with daily activities? Have you seen an ENT or had a hearing test performed? I assume someone diagnosed you with T, so who was it? How many days have you had it? Is it in one or both ears? Do you listen to loud music, go to lot's of concerts or clubs? Work in a noisy environment? Use power tools without hearing protection?

First thing is, protect yourself from loud noises from this point on. Put down the earbuds or headphones, for now. Don't go clubbing or be anywhere there's loud music, like bars, etc.

Lot's of questions to answer I know, but for proper guidance, we need to know a few more details.

Sailboardman

7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Brian, just to get an idea, can you hear the tinnitus while you are in the shower. If so then then I think most here would agree that it is high. Some here have it when they "listen for it" and then there are those here that fall somewhere in between. My is usually loud and clear even when in the shower.

There are times though where I do have to listen for it, this does not happen very often, maybe once every 6 weeks.
      As others have pointed out there are options for you.

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to TT. Members here know what you are going through as most of us have been where you are now. Their advice is excellent. I can only say that most new sufferers can get desperate and traumatized by the non stop ringing like you. I did just that a few years back when T hit. When T is new and alien to the body, the body tends to reject this sensation. The brain thinks it is a threat or at least unsure about what it is. So when it fails to remove this 'threat', it reacts in traumatic fashion and you now function in fight or flight mode and your nerves are controlled by the limbic nervous system. Now you will begin to zoom in on T and monitor it all day. This is a normal reaction of the body to protect you. This stress tends to sensitize your perception and sensation of T, and making it appear louder and unbearable.

To get better, Karen above has listed the steps and others mention you need to do something to relax yourself. Stress is not good for T. To get less stressful about T, the best way I know is to get educated about T, and to learn how others have become better. By reading as many success stories as you can, you flood the brain with comfort and hope, and you train the brain to realize that T is not a threat. It is livable or luckily for some, treatable. It can also fade, disappear of be habituated over TIME. Time is an important element of success common to most success stories. Time and getting more positive will allow your normal parasympathetic nervous system to return, and you will not be as freaked out by T as you are now.

So remember to give yourself and your body time. A few years back I went through hell with T as well as severe hyperacusis plus relentless anxiety and panic attacks. Life was miserable and hopeless. But now I live an absolutely enjoyable and productive life, and I wrote my success story too. So don't panic and don't be desperate. Don't rush your recovery. It will happen as you follow the advice of others. Take good care & God bless your recovery.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blurrby
      Doubtful

Blurrby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Thanks guys for all of your good words! It really helps me a lot knowing there's a community around this illness and I can talk to people that have the same problem like me.

I am going again to the doctor to get some more answers about this problem of mine. When I found out about it I was so shocked I didn't put a lot of questions, I think I didn't want to accept it..but I have to move one with life eventually.

Will come again with some new updates when I got them.