I've Discovered Saunas and Whirlpools...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cher69, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Well guys I've not been around for a while - I keep checking in and reading up on news and posts - life has been keeping my busy with work - I have new major projects to face and I feel stronger and ready to face them.

My last hurdle was to rejoin the gym and get back to my previous life and love of fitness - well I've done it - now my days start early once I'm awake then that's kind of it for me - I can't lie in bed listening to 'TTTTTTTT' noise so I get up - this can be anything from 4.30 - 6am but as long as Ive had 5-6 hours sleep that's enough for me. So I hit the gym !

Now after a 60 min gym sessions I've discovered sauna's and whirlpools - @Markku I thought of you as I sat this morning in my sauna relaxing - and I love this time.

I now feel I've got my full life back and I've learnt a lot and appreciate things more - OK Im still on the AD's but hey we all need a little help sometimes - Im happy and looking forward to my sauna and jacuzzi tomo before a busy day at work - early morning starts have their advantages !!!

Cher x

• Like Like x 5
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Good for you, Cher!! It sounds like you've gotten back into life, and are enjoying things again. You've come a long way, and that's wonderful. I'm all about fitness, too, and I've been going to a fitness center three times a week, in addition to my daily walks. It's a great way to forget about your T and embrace life. The sauna and Jacuzzi sound pretty good, too!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Does working out make the T louder? I use to exercise all the time but am now just doing some Yoga relaxation routines. I would like to get back to more vigorous exercise but am kind of afraid.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @DebS ,

For me, working out doesn't make my tinnitus louder. It actually seems to help keep it calmer. Yoga is excellent for relaxation and calming, and I'm sure that is beneficial to you. You could try adding a short walk to your exercise routine and see how it affects you.

I have both ringing tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus, and exercise doesn't seem to make my pulsating any louder, either.
      The only time it made it worse was when my pulsating first began, and I tried vigorous walking in the summertime heat. Then, I could really hear the pulsating in my head. But since then, walking has been a very good thing for me!

5. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

DebS
      I can only speak for me; but since my T is derived (I believe) from my upper cervical issues, my T definitely gets louder while I'm exercising. However, afterwards is a LOT better (T goes waaay down).

Mark

• Like Like x 1
    6. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Mark
      What makes you think that your t is caused by upper cervical issues?
      It's just that I have had an MRI on my cervical spine recently and I have herniated discs at c5/c6.
      I have always thought my t was sound induced but now I am beginning to think my cervical issues might be a contributing factor.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      @DebS - Im lucky that exercise doesn't effect my T at all and Im finding the benefits of exercise is helping me sleep.
      @Karen - Last May / June when this T thing arrived in my life I really didnt think I would regain my former self. I have and I can cope with most things - I still expect some rough patches but with my T family I will get through them

cher x

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      LindS
      Sorry I haven't answered back; I was in DC for a few days

I don't have anything in evidence that clearly shows it is my upper cervical (in the way of an MRI specifically looking at my upper cervical); however, much like you, I have issues with C5/6/7 in that I have little to no cartilage between them (manifested on a simple x-ray).

I do know the following:
      1. When I lift weights it tightens that area and my T is worse
      2. When I run it loosens that area and my T is 'great'
      3. When I get chiropractic work, my T improves
      4. When I put an Icy Hot patch across my neck, it helps
      5. When I put a heating pad across my neck and shoulders, it helps
      6. When I turn my head left or right, my T 'screams'
      7. When I sleep at night and my head/neck are not supported correctly my T 'screams'

I call this 'neck-titus' because it seems to be the epicenter of my classic tinnitus; in other words, I can cause it to start and stop objectively via physical manipulation of my neck. However, I do have classic tinnitus (subjective) in my left ear that gets going and I'm not able to intervene it as easily or predictably. I highly suspect my neck-titus gets the classic T going (and is also the root of my pulsatile T)

In the near future I was going to go to the Nebraska Spine Center for a consult to see if doing an MRI (et al.) would be a productive course of action.

Until then, I've had this for a year now and am getting pretty darn good at ignoring it; although I never thought I would get to this point (I was a mess for a while -- ugh!).

I hope this helps; if not, I will try to answer any other questions

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Thanks for you detailed answer Mark.

I can relate to a lot of what you are saying especially when I lie down. A very angry t awakens which is annoying because that's when I want to sleep! Sigh. But like you I am getting used to it(habituating)after a few harrowing months.
      Exercise is bad also. I am seeing an exercise phisyologist and he has prescribed daily stretches which also amps up t.
      However as I have recently been told if I want to prolong the event of major spinal surgery I need to keep up my physical therapy. I am only 43 so quite young to have this disorder.
      An MRI is very good at looking at the spine. When I first when to my GP he only ordered an X-ray. It showed up some disc damage, however the MRI told the whole story and I'm glad I got it done, I encourage you to get it done.
      Btw I like your new t term "neck-titus".
      I am also curious are you around the same vintage as me?
      Thanks again for your reply.

Linds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Thats great cher 69! me too ive gone back to work full time and back to the gym life is great glad to read your post makes me wanna jump for joy.. so so happy you got your life back , we got our life back !please keep us updated on your new journey..:beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Life is fab one year on and ok it's different I have T but I have my life back as I love it xx

12. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I discovered the benefits of hot salt water whirlpools when I took a cruise about six months ago. My body felt like a new person. Never did I miss spending at least an hour each day in one of the two they had onboard. The price of the cruise was worth that alone.

13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You guys should check this out:

Hyperthermic Conditioning for Hypertrophy,...

Saunas are good stuff!