I've Had Tinnitus for Many Years... But It's Worse?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by brian F, Aug 13, 2017.

1. brian F

brian F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nothing
      Well I had learned to live with my tinnitus, I really didn't think about it or even notice it for years now but I was at work a few days ago and out of nowhere I thought I heard it, and then I've been freaking out ever since.

It now seems to be really loud I hear it almost all the time and I can't stop thinking about it.

Is it loud just because I'm thinking about it and making myself enter my Fight or Flight mode or what?

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @brian F, and welcome.

There are many examples on this forum. In fact @WaqasVic posted earlier today that his tinnitus seems to be exacerbated by stress.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...common-tinnitus-goes-down-when-relaxed.23309/

Many people have had success by keeping themselves busy. Distractions can take your mind off the ringing (of whatever you are hearing as not everyone hears high pitched tones). Everyone experiences tinnitus differently, so you will have to try a number of things to find what will work for you. It may take a while, and you will probably get frustrated, but assuming that photo is of you, I am certain you have the strength, fortitude, and commitment to work through these difficulties and come out the other side.

Search out posts by @Bobbie7 , @billie48 , and @glynis . Each are extremely helpful and expound the benefits of remaining calm when coping with tinnitus.

Staying calm will help. I know it is frustrating (I have had it for a long time, and a recent increase in volume is what brought me to this forum), but you can and will learn to live with again.

I wish you luck, and hope you find everything you need here. Please keep us updated on your progress and do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are always here and will always help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Take heart, @brian F , it's probably just a spike that will pass. I say this because you stated that it began a only a few days ago. Unfortunately, fear and anxiety can cause a spike to last longer and even make it worse. So the faster you can reduce those levels the better. Maintaining an attitude that this is just temporary and will eventually go back to your previous base should help to reduce your anxiety level. This is very important because fear, anxiety and panic is like pouring gasoline on a fire for someone suffering from a severe spike. My opinion is based on many years of personal experience.

Check out the poll: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

At the time of this post, 59% of the people that responded state that they have experienced spikes that lasted seven days or longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brian F

brian F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nothing
      It's just really getting to me right now. I guess my anxiety is taking over

5. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That happens to most of us at one point or another (and often again and again). Like life itself, with tinnitus you will have good days and bad days. I know that my volume seldom changes, but some days I have a much harder time dealing with my tinnitus. It is just part of having tinnitus. We are here to help support you. I find that coming here and trying to help others actually helps me cope on especially bad T days. That may work of you, or perhaps perusing a success story or two will help calm your anxiety knowing that many people have overcome their tinnitus.

Hang in there, you'll get through this.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      brian F

brian F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nothing
      Do you guys think that I will learn to live with it again? I went so long with out even noticing it. Now all of a sudden I hear it al the time and even over loud noises I used to mask it with. Maybe it's just because I'm focused on on it? I'm not sure