Jogging with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Always after exercise my tinnitus spikes. For the last 3 weeks I have not gone jogging because I am scared that it may make my tinnitus worse. Today I really want to go, but I still have the spike that I got last Thursday.

So can I go jogging? When I have a spike can jogging make it permanently worse?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe this is a stupid question which explains why there isn't any answers. :p I decided that I will go jogging. :bookworm:

• Like Like x 1
    3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Apocalypse77 , I would consult your doctor. But, if a particular activity causes a spike, you may not want to perform that particular activity. Is there something else you could do? I know that it is not the same, but perhaps a walk at least, or riding a bicycle. The problem is that you are probably not 100% certain that the jogging caused the spike, and if it did, what part of the jogging caused the spike. When you jog your heart rate increases, increasing the blood flow and (I believe ) blood pressure (temporarily, or course), there is also the physical effect of the impact, not only the effects of the force when your feet hit the ground, but also the "bouncing" up and down of your entire body when running. Any of those may have contributed to the spike.

You mentioned that your tinnitus spikes after "exercise", what other types of exercise do you do and have you tried to determine which factors may be contributing to the spikes? You may be able to find a form of exercise that does not trigger your tinnitus.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used to play basket ball, for the first month. When I left the practice my T was loud (70 dB). Now I can barely hear it if I don't have a spike.

Last time I went jogging my T spiked for an hour and then came back to the normal level. So does this mean that some noises were too loud (footsteps etc.) I will try riding a bicycle but the traffic and wind noise is not good for my ears. I will at least go walking.

5. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Old Post here but I have a question. Inspired by @Star64 and @fishbone among many others, I decided to restart physical activity. I went for a run today, and as I had not run for about one year I just ran 4 km. However, when I ran with earplugs and put my feet down, I feel a rebound sound in my ears. Even removing earplugs and running in a quiet area, my tinnitus becomes higher pitched and more annoying during the run. It has always had an important somatosensory component in that if I bend over or lay down the tinnitus increases. What should I do with running ? I think I benefit from it but unfortunately this exacerbates the somatosensory component. Bloody condition. What next? Breathing spikes?

6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have tt from loud music and for me running is absolutely harmless. I never run with headphones or anything, though.

I can't see any reason why tinnitus from noise should be worsened or spike from physical activity.

7. MrE
      Transparent

MrE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ears popped bad.. Lost my balance.. Machine sound followed.
      Keep working out man! My T always spikes after lifting weights, and I'm no astronaut, but even I understand why. It always gets back to normal afterwards though.. Or as normal as having T gets, I guess.. Anyway, stay strong and keep running like crazy! You're/We're better for it :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Mine is from ear infection and pregabalin withdrawal. I think it has to do with nerves more than sound induced tinnitus, perhaps that's why. @MrE is yours sound induced?

9. MrE
      Transparent

MrE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My ENT said something about a "window being open" inside my head. I can alter my sound by moving my head, eyes or clenching my jaw. Either stressrelated or has something to do with some fucking fatloss drug I tried (Mysimba). Have been depressed all my life too, so there are many factors here. Don't think it has anything to do with exposure to loud noise or music, but hey... you never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. MrE
      Transparent

MrE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And in any case. I'd rather die than stop listening to music :) Seriously. God can take away many A thing, but no way he (or she)'s gonna take that to. <3

11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Unless someone can show me statistics, jogging and exercise won't make tinnitus worse.

You might get a spike though. It should be temporary. The spike is because of increased blood flow as the heart is pumping faster. Exercise is good and beneficial but because our tinnitus torture is both an ears AND BRAIN phenomenon, exercise is likely to cause a spike.

I think any activity is difficult even walking. Even if there is no spike, my tinnitus fluctuations are very minor. It is torture just going for a walk and have insane screaming of loud high pitched tinnitus tones in my head and ears while going for a simple walk.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. SouthKorean
      No Mood

SouthKorean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017/12/28
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Shock
      I am not good at English and I have little knowledge of tinnitus.
      I can only pray for you. I'll pray for it to heal.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
    15. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah sometimes I wish tinnitus was lazy and would stay home instead of coming on walks/runs with me. I do usually get a spike after exercising but apart from the spike in tinnitus it makes me feel better overall, especially my mood improves and for me that is a big thing because when I am in a better frame of mind I can deal with the other shit that is going on in my body much better.

I also have TMJ, I have actually dislocated my jaw once before from yawning and ended up in the ER for 4 hours until they finally put it back in place, so yes running can aggravate it as @Greg Sacramento has noted. So I usually do interval training run/walk as otherwise running will cause me more issues...

I have also suffered from plantar fasciitis which is a painful, it took me three years to heal my right foot, so I have to be careful not aggravate that also. Geez I am falling apart:eek:

I do not use ear plugs but I listen to music when I run played directly from my phone, so everyone can here me coming LOL, my sons tell me I am embarrassing, but my care factor is zero ;)

Plus Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) has been referred to as a fertilizer for your brain and exercise especially high intensity is meant to be the best way to achieve this...

I have definitely injured my brain, so it needs all the help it can get. The link below makes an interesting read on the benefit of exercise for our brains...

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/this-is-your-brain-on-exercise-64934

I really hope things settle down for you, I know you are trying so hard and this condition is so cruel :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      The increased tinnitus that occurs with exercise is almost certainly just vascular: your blood pressure and heart beat rise, and this increases the tinnitus sounds temporarily.

The chances that this would lead to a permanent increase is almost zero. Moreover, if you stop exercising the rest of your body will fall apart.

The goal has to be to learn how to live with tinnitus, not to learn how to avoid life.

Go. Jog.

• Agree Agree x 1