Just Diagnosed...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by restorick2378, Jun 2, 2015.

1. restorick2378

restorick2378 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seemed to start shortly after operating an impact wrench
      Hello all,

My name is Rick and I was recently diagnosed with tinnitus. Over the years I've experienced short bouts of tinnitus that sounds like a constant cicada whine - high pitched enough to be irritating, but not debilitating.

A few weeks ago I was installing a security storm door, using an impact driver to drive the screws. I had to get pretty close to the driver to have enough leverage so the bit wouldn't strip the screw head. A day or two later and the ringing became constant to the point where I couldn't sleep.

I'm a coffee drinker, and I enjoy a good cigar with bourbon from time to time. My doctor told to stop all that nonsense for a month and see if the symptoms subside. I'm 2 weeks in to it and nothing has changed. At this rate, I'll be hammered for father's day weekend.

Appreciate that there is a forum like this, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully contributing to the group. I can say with all sincerity that I feel your pain...

Rick

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Yeah, everyone goes through the living healthy, stopping all that nonsense, becoming one with your body sort of phase.
      Then everyone realizes that no matter how many lettuces they eat... well, you know, what's done is done.

Good thing is, you go back to not eating lettuce, that's something I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Given your geographical location, onset of tinnitus, and likely cause of tinnitus, you may wish to contemplate enrollment with the following clinical trial:

www.tinnitus-study.info

It is 99% unlikely to make a permanent difference (in lowering your symptoms). While coffee or other "stuff" may temporarily increase your tinnitus, it will have no effect on your current and long-term situation (either way). Sorry.

Consider enrollment with the trial. Additionally, your tinnitus may improve by itself over time. Melatonin, 6mg, ½-hour before bedtime is helpful as a sleep aid (therapeutic range = 5-10 mg).

4. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Too much, 0.5 milligram can be enough. 3 mg is most common