Just Discovered What the Ringing Is, Horrible

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Danny 1, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Danny 1

Danny 1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/machine
      There has always been a ring in my ear, very light.

Recently, I noticed it a little more while trying to sleep. I would wake up full of fear in the middle of the night. I thought it was just stress. I made the mistake of reading too many web articles and now I feel the despair. This is going to be a rough journey.

I hope to get support from here.....so kind words would be nice to hear.

2. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Danny1
      What caused your Tinnitus ? It say's loud noise. Can you give detail?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny 1

Danny 1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/machine
      Many years in machine shops. I think it intensified with a saw a couple weeks back. Not 100% sure.

4. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hey @Danny 1

Welcome, glad you signed up. This web site gave me support. Lots of smart, kind, and supportive people and all the posts. I agree, T it is horrible. Wish I had something better to say, there seems to be better days than others. Got to get my own health together and get to the better days.

5. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I think that most people have some sort of ringing or hissing, the sound of blood/nervous system. But we are 100% habituated to that sound. Maybe you've been under stress lately and focusing on that particular sound more and the sound appears louder due to your stress? Or if it's a "real" tinnitus then I would advice you not to stress. I know it's easier said than done, specially if you've only had it for a day. Once you settle down you will cope with it a lot better. Protect yourself, rest from sounds for a while, destress and stay calm. Trust me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @Danny 1, welcome.

I'm sorry to learn that you are suffering with tinnitus. Fortunately, you found this forum. I understand your despair, you will find that such a feeling is common. Searching the internet is always a risk when researching medical issues. I tend to stick to well known hospitals (Beth Israel, Deaconess, Mass General, etc..).

@James is correct, this site will provide a lot of support.

If you have not already, read the following posts from @Michael Leigh

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/headphones-and-tinnitus.12062/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

Also, @billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

You will get through this, and we will be here to help. You will not have to fight this battle alone. Again, james is correct that this forum is very supportive and will help, as it has helped countless people.

I wish you the best and hope that you find everything you need here. Please keep us up to date on your progress, we love success stories here.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Do we not all hear some sort of ringing/hissing ever so slight 'eeeee' or 'tiiiiii' in complete silence? Or in a very quiet room?
      I ask this becasue every time i bring it up to someone who apparently doesn't have tinnitus they always look at me as if to say "ok and?" When i talk about the sound. I tell my friends about it and their response is as if it's normal....i ask my girlfriend and she hears the same thing and asks why am i focusing in on it etc etc.

8. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You already know you had that ring for sure before so why are you worrying about it now? It's becasue you're focusing in on it. Maybe anxiety/stress related?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny 1

Danny 1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/machine
      Yes, that maybe. It definitely got worse as I read internet stuff. I'm doing my best to stay away from most sites now.

Thanks

10. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Anxiety is a real bitch. I suffer from health anxiety and it has literally made me feel i have every disease/sickness under the book. It has actually caused me to be sick at times to be totally honest with you.

I think your issue is similar to mine in that we are focusing in on this sound. Mine is extremley faint ring in left ear which i literally look for every time im in a quiet room. I find it and then get depressed leading to little to no sleep and my anxiety going over the roof. The noise itself is usually so faint i cant hear it over any other noise and it actually goes away when i plug my ears (which is weird)...but i still check for it...still go on the internet every minute reading about it.

A few days ago i thought i could hear another noise in my right ear. Guess what...i preoccupied my thoughts with the other ear for a few days...and the sound in my original left ear can barely be heard. I bet when i feel comfortable with my right ear my left will suddenly be an issue.

Think we need to sort our anxiety out first before worrying about anything else.

11. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Theoretically, almost everyone experiences tinnitus at some point in their lives. But, no, it is not normal to hear it all the time. Some of us do not even need a quiet room, it can be a heard in even loud environments.

I am the only person I know who has tinnitus, so I am fairly certain that it is not "normal".

As for the people who don't understand, they obviously do not really have it. And, they need to understand that even if they hear it, and it does not bother them, it is bothering you. I am frustrated that so few people seem to have the ability to empathize with someone who is suffering from something they do not understand. Even if the problem is not real (and I am absolutely not claiming that your problem is not real), any decent human being, or at the very least anyone who cares about you, should be supportive regardless of if they can understand what you are going through or if they think you are overreacting. The only thing they should be concerned with is the fact that you are suffering, and if they cared they would do whatever they can to alleviate your suffering. That is what people who care about other people do.

Sorry for the rant, the lack of support so many of us here seem to receive from the people who supposably love us is extremely frustrating to me.

12. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      But that's the thing. They do have it..when explaining it they describe it just as i hear it (in quiet surroundings). I literally just spoke to a friend about it yesterday and his response was "what that eeeee" sound. My girlfriend and i share the same flat...we went to 3 different rooms and tested it out. She literally explained exactly what i was hearing..she explained which room it was more prominent in (exactly like i heard it).

I guess what i'm asking is if the Tinnitus sound generally (i know it varies drastically) is the same as that sound i'm describing? Isn't there a natural sound out circulatory system makes?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny 1

Danny 1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/machine
      Wow, thanks everyone for the input. It's nice to know people are here to help and understand. This is the first post I've made on any forum for any reason. I wasn't expecting a response. It really helps.

I'm going to get checked by a doctor to make sure nothing else is wrong. I believe it can be managable if I can get rid of this stress.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny 1

Danny 1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/machine
      Yup. Doctor says it tittinus.

15. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Everyone experiences tinnitus differently, If you google "Tinnitus Sounds" you will find a lot of sounds that are nothing like what you hear. I, personally, was surprised with the things other tinnitus suffers hear. That, combined with hyperacusis, actually make me feel bad and weak for complaining about a few tones and some static/hissing.

But, it does not matter what, exactly, you hear, or how loud it is, the important thing is how it affects you and your ability to enjoy life. And, I still stand by my original post in that they should be supportive regardless of if they think you are over reacting. The important part is that it is upsetting you.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't. I went from being able to hear complete silence to tinnitus that I can hear over almost every outside noise overnight.
      To be honest, if I could only hear tinnitus in a quiet room I'm sure I would have completely habituated by now. To have that would be as good as a cure to me.