Just Got Tinnitus from Gunshot (Machine Gun)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chello, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Chello

Chello Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26th 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot .
      I had a machine gun go off right in my face on the 26th of September. It's been a month. Ears still ringing. Hearing is in the normal range from what I’m told. I'veeen trying to cope with it reading successful stories from noise induced trauma.

Thought I’d share my story and see where it goes or if it gets better so I can share positivity.

I've been on Prednisone 40mg but today is my last day on it. It didn’t have an effect on my tinnitus from what I can tell. There was one day where I woke up and my tinnitus wasn’t there even if I looked for it but around 5 pm it came back. I haven’t had a day like that since.

Attached Files:

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      It's still way too early to get too excited. I expect you will see some improvement in the coming days. From what I know, one time noise exposure that leads to tinnitus has a good chance of getting better with time.

A machine gun? What happened? Are you in the military? Was this unexpected?

You are in the right place here to get some advice.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chello

Chello Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26th 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot .
      Yes the machine gun noise unexpected. No I’m not in the military sir, I was just in a bad situation.

Just wanted to share my story. I don’t sleep anymore so I have been on here a lot trying to read all the positive things. Knowing I could be stuck with this forever has been getting to me. I become so irritated over the littlest things now. I am so on edge and just plain mean to everyone. I hate it.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you experienced any fading or change in pitch, compared to how it was at the start of October?

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chello

Chello Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26th 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot .
      I believe it’s more of hissing now than a ringing but I’d still say it’s in the middle of both. Sometimes it would go from one ear to the other, but mainly just feels like my whole brain hears it. Another times it feels like bolts or signals being sent to my head, then just a constant tone.

It has calmed down though a little compared to the first 2 weeks, or I’ve just gotten used to it more now. It’s weird though if I’m fully distracted by something else I don’t hear it, the brain is a crazy thing.

Also when I chew down or move my neck a certain way my tinnitus gets louder.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Awesome news. This means that, unless you hurt your ears again, your tinnitus ought to continue to change for the better. Unfortunately ears take forever (3-24 months) to heal. The fact that it has only been a month and you have already sensed some improvement (and a change from a high-pitch tone to a hiss is a major improvement), is a very good sign. It will take months, but you ought to eventually get your life back.

Check out the post below for some tips on how to avoid hurting your ears a second time (e.g., a link to a list of ototoxic drugs, avoiding microsuctions, etc.)

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chello

Chello Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26th 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot .
      Thank you for the help. I live in California so it’s hard to stay away from loud noises. I try my best when loud cars or motorcycles drive past. And I was told not to wear ear protection when I’m out because I could get stuck with the hyperacusis that way. I also bought Zinc, Magnesium, B12 and the Tebonin (Ginkgo Biloba) from Germany and will fast on the weekends. Trying to give my body everything it needs to beat this.

I will inform you if my tinnitus slowly gets better or goes away. Thank you for taking the time to write all this @Bill Bauer.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can give hyperacusis to yourself if you cut yourself off from all sound for many months. There is a big difference between that, and ensuring that you are not getting blasted by the sound of a motorcycle or a truck accelerating. When I began to be serious about protecting myself from all of the sounds that felt uncomfortable to me, I began to experience tinnitus fading. Moreover my hyperacusis (that I got simultaneously with tinnitus) began to go away and it was mostly gone after a year. I made sure to watch TV programs at medium volume, and perhaps that has contributed to me not getting hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      How long did it take for yours to fade? How would you rate it in comparison to loudness at onset? What event caused yours? Thanks.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I had a look at your audiogram, which is just perfect. You are a very lucky guy haha.. I think you will be fine!

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chello

Chello Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26th 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot .
      If anyone reads this by chance I tried fasting for 48 hours. The hardest part is the headache you get while going thru it. But man did that shit help. Honestly it took my tinnitus down from a 6-8 to 2-4, sometimes I barely even notice it's there. I can’t say it will do the same for you but worth a try. I also listened to tones on low volume while on the fast that blocked out the noise completely to relax. Hope this is some help to you. Can send the link to video I listened to if you need it. Will try fruit fast next to see if it does the same or not.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    12. Christopher E.

Christopher E. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Gun Shot onset, exasperated by TMJ?
      Hey Chello,

How are you getting on? I have had Tinnitus since Nov 3rd from an exposed ears rifle shot. I have been fasting 48 hours as well and doing cold showers. I have noticed a big improvement as well. Just wondering where your tinnitus is at. Unfortunately, I have a hearing loss at 4K up to 40db. Left ear only.

Let me know! Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Was the effect temporary?

14. Angela Riffe
      Mellow

Angela Riffe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have info on the 48 hour fast? Is it anything special or basically not eating for 48 hours and then eating normally again?

I'd be interested in checking it out.

15. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’ve tried it. No change whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1