Just Had Earwax Removed with a Curette, Still Feels Clogged a Bit and Muffled?

Discussion in 'Support' started by grotulon, May 10, 2017.

1. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure what is causing this, as before the clog it didn't really feel clogged, but he removed enough that he was able to see my ear drum (was not able before)

Chewing seems to modulate the sound a bit even opening my jaw the tiniest bit can do it. Pulling on my ear lobe also relieves some pressure...

He prescribed Cipro drops, because he said the canal was a bit red from scraping.

Also gave me lorata-dine D 10-240 mg tablets and Azithromycin 500mg tablet.

Not sure what any of this means but its a bit annoying.

Might I add this was at med express, not my actual doctor or ENT.

I can't tell if I can hear better, but it seems so?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @grotulon
      Providing you used the eardrops 2 to 3 times a day for 7 to 10 days before the procedure, I don't think you'll have any problems.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      the issue is, it feels muffled and still feels clogged a tiny bit

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It shouldn't feel muffled or clogged as that could mean not all the wax has been cleared out in my opinion. I have had ear irrigation 3 times and microsuction 3 times and never experienced clogging or muffled sensation. Leave it for a couple of days then get a second opinon.
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      He said there was a bit left over, but nothing on the drum or obscuring it, Though he said I may have liquid in the ears which is why he prescribed claritin, should I just try take that?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @grotulon
      Where did you go to have this microsuction done? I hope that it was to someone who knows what they are doing and not a cowboy?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Leave it a couple of days then see an ENT consultant if I were you.
      Michael

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It wasn't microsuction, just curettes, very gently and painless actually. the muffledness modulates a bit, but I can hear better now, and it seems to go away and come back a bit.

My tinnitus is of course lower because I can hear clearly (If not for the muffledness)

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have never heard of this procedure being done on the ears to remove wax. I remember spending a lot of time talking to you about this and advising you, to see an ENT doctor to get your ears microsuctioned, I wished you had followed my advice. Hopefully things will improve for you soon.
      All the best
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      yeah they just scrape the wax out with a very soft plastic instrument, was painless and had no sound.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You should have had microsuction like I advised you to. I mean no desrespect, what is the point in asking people for help then not listening to what they advise. I have had tinnitus for over 20 years and had irrigation and microsuction many times with no problems.
      Michael

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When sitting, the pressure or muffledness isn't so bad, but when I stand it seems to be exasperated..

BUT, if I am standing up, and plug the ear that has no issue the ear with pressure seems to be better a bit.

I had wax cleaned after I pushed against my ear, causing a block, in which they removed it with a curettage, enough so the ear drum was visible again.

Also how ototoxic is Claritin D?

13. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      I have had mild Eustachian tube dysfunction for over a month now. My doctors say that it is from my previous cold. Have you been sick recently? They prescribed me prednisone and did a tympanogram on me. If your ears feel blocked or like there is pressure, there could be fluid behind the eardrum or just ETD. The tympanogram will show if there is fluid being the ear. If they removed ear wax enough so that the ear drum is visible, I don't think that it could be wax causing the problem. Good luck to you. My prayers are with you

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No not sick, is it in both of your ears? mine is just one.

15. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is in both. I don't have any fluid , but fluid can build up behind one of your ears I believe. If you haven't already, just make sure sure you have an audiologist do a tympanogram

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will, this is honestly annoying more than anything.. in other news my T has went down considerably, which is a bit strange considering.. lol

17. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trust me, I understand. I have a 24 hour flight in a few weeks and don't know what I'm going to do with this blocked feeling in my ears and tinnitus. I plan on protecting them with noise cancelling head phones, but it is causing me great anxiety. I'm glad your T is down! I got tinnitus from going to a loud concert a month ago. It has gone down considerably but is very much still there. When watching a video in class, I am forced to go all the way to the back of the room and plug my ears to prevent further damage. Having tinnitus is hard enough but having pressure on your ears on top of that is terribly annoying. I actually had to cancel a concert and a birthday party to an amusement park because of this. It sucks, but as long as you have someone supportive and understanding in your life, you can get through it. Hope you feel better soon!!