Karen from California

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sunnyk, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Sunnyk

Sunnyk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just found your support forum and am happy to read about your real life struggles, treatment trials and hopefully, treatment success.

The buzzing in my ears started unilaterally while I was in high school. A very high-pitched sound that if I tried to copy the sound myself internally, I could stop it. I would "hear it out." But as the years wore on, the high-pitched sound has become so loud and raging I feel like I am going crazy.

The tinnitus wakes me up when I am sleeping and then I can't return to sleep. I have a fan in my bedroom for white noise and have to travel with a small fan for hotel rooms.

My audio tests reveal I can hear but boy is it a struggle. It is much easier to force my concentration on the ear phones than be in a conversation out in the public where I can make myself zoom in on a sound in a headphone.

This past week has seen an escalation in my ringing and whooshing sounds and it is scaring me. I don't think I can function like this for the rest of my life. I work, have my family and social activities that now are being affected when I can hear over my internal sounds. A lot of nodding of my head when I have no idea of what was said. At some point this will impact my ability to work. And then what will I do?

Thanks for letting me rant here. I pray for a cure.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Sorry you are struggling...

Can you post your audiogram?

Has your audiologist suggested hearing aids?

Do you have any idea why the perception of your tinnitus has escalated?

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it possible that your tinnitus got louder as a result of you being exposed to loud noises? Many people had posted here that even moderately loud noises (e.g., a loud phone, a slamming door) cause their tinnitus to spike (sometimes permanently).

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

Perhaps some of those tips might help you to avoid getting a tinnitus spike.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. We all pray for a cure but the reality is that there may not be a single cure for all forms of tinnitus. However treatments have been tested and developed. Check out the Treatments & Alternative Treatments forums as well the Research News.

If you read the success stories, you will realize that besides those who still have tinnitus but have habituated, there are some who actually have their tinnitus gone or faded to minimal level. They do this by various means, some by taking a supplement, some by fixing the root cause of their somatic tinnitus, some by diet, others by sound mix or neuromodulation and what have you. So there are many roads to Rome when it comes to tinnitus recovery.

• Like Like x 1