Keeps Getting Louder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, May 31, 2015.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Just when I think I'm able to manage the T for a while, it ups its game. Over the past 5 years the T has increased in volume (or perceived volume) and complexity every few months. I have managed to adapt each time (with difficulty) but nowadays it is just insane. So noisy with so many high pitched frequencies.

What I don't understand is that it increases during times when I am managing fine and just getting on with things. The tinnitus seems to shout at me saying "Hey, think you have habituated do you? I'm still here, listen to this new high pitched torturous sound, you loser." Yes, I somehow still have a sense of homour.

Wish I knew why it is getting worse and how bad it can get before habituation becomes nigh impossible. No sleep last night and feel rubbish today. Why is it when I am not focussed on it or feeling anxious about it, it still gets worse? Anyone else have the same experience?

Perhaps something neurological going on where the tinnitus related connections are getting stronger with time no matter what or possibly medication related? I take a very small amount of mirtazapine and sometimes a small amount of zopiclone to get some sleep which is understandable, considering there is an electrical storm continually brewing inside my head.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I'm currently on a bit of a spike right now and understand what you are saying. Are you doing anything regarding protecting your ears in loud or louder situations?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Sorry you have a spike right now. I'm not sure I get spikes. I just get added frequencies which stay around and become a permanent feature of this concoction of horrific noise. I pretty much avoid loud situations as noise was probably what caused it to become bad in the first place. My workplace is quiet and I dont go anywhere with loud music playing. Noise cant be the reason it has worsened.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zopiclone is basically a very fast acting benzo. If you're taking that stuff all the time, it could be a factor. Those drugs are not intended to be used for more than a week or two. Try googling "zopiclone tinnitus", you will find people saying stuff like

5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      TCD does that...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What is TCD?

• Genius Genius x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I would be more concerned about the drugs you are on, TCD is a theoretical framework for understanding various neurological conditions. The thing is, parkinson's (another condition tied to TCD) is always progressive, whereas some of the other things connected to TCD (tinnitus, schizophrenia, etc) are not necessarily progressive. I've talked to a lot of people who have had stable tinnitus for decades, and you don't find that in the parkinson's population.

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah mine started moderate, really just bothered me at night or in quiet areas, now there is no relief. I don't bother with masking, no point, noise makes it even louder, not getting a break wears on me, no time to recoupe so you can keep battling. I have many new sounds as well, I started with a eeeeee, one tone at onset, now it's a variety of scratching /squeaking noises, beeping, clicks, and it always feels as if someone is shooting compressed air into my ears randomly. I can't tell day to day most of the time when volume goes up. It's so gradual, but month to month the increases are noticeable. I started at onset with a lot of push back and was out with friends all the time, things progressed as I have stated, I'm wiped now, exhausted. I sleep ok but at the same time getting out of bed takes me hours, if I even get up at all a lot of days. I now have really bad H so makes it pretty much impossible to get out into noise to distract. At onset or close to it, I would go to loud pubs and just sit there with friends feeling pretty ok at times. Or I would listen to music on head phones for hours on end for relief. I thought I would just have to stay busy, this has changed a lot for me.

I don't know how bad it can get, that scares me now. I wasn't scared of this at onset. I thought it was kind of a standard thing that wont change.

Just to add to this, I was on A LOT of drugs to treat T and my messed up ears. I was put on ciprodex ear drops, steroids, effexor, Zoplicone, adivan, nasal decongestants and a ton of other stuff. Not to mention I was going out into painful amounts of noise because I couldn't deal with sitting around, I guess this combo added to things. Currently I'm not sure why things are still progressing. I'm on Effexor, I took up smoking and now drink a lot to cope with T, maybe that is adding. Or, it's noise on my damaged ears at this point. I'm not that careful, I take hits to my ears every day from something, even if it's just the dishes, my ears close up and get painful pretty much every day from something.

Also, like you, I am not anxious and the progression is still there, I have given in and try and go with the flow, still gets worse. I have never really found anxiety changed my T to start with though, it's always been what it is, nothing to do with mood or thoughts.

This shit is mind blowing, I would have never thought it could get like this. Hope I have plateaued, if it gets worse I'm finished for sure.

I would say the sleeping tablets you are taking could definitely be causing issues. I am in the process of getting off the Effexor, hope this helps stop this worsening.

9. Tamar
      Curious

Tamar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I haven't been on this forum for a while and I really appreciate the camaraderie! I relate to what everyone is saying. My T has been increasing in volume and complexity regardless of my mood, stress or activity. I have 3 sounds-- super loud high electrical eeeeee (scream), a middle range motor hum which is also very loud, a general thunderous type rumbling (very ominous and scary sounding). All the sounds are 24/7. My T started in 11/2013 with the high pitched sound and has just worsened over time. I feel like I habiutaute and then it worsens. My hearing is suffering. I presume my T is caused by hearing loss and now the T is contributing to the hearing problem... Vicious cycle. I find it annoying that I can't enjoy the silence or the birds chirping. I can hear some of them but I'm missing so much due to the noise in my head. Anyway, I relate to you guys. I Haven't really done much to address the problem because I don't have faith in the available treatments. I've tried a few apps and masking sounds but nothing masks any of my sounds. I'm just going to keep trying to adapt. I could never possibly sleep without a benzo. I take one a night a have for a couple years. I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink without a sleeping pill. Anyway, at least we are not alone!

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought I couldn't sleep without benzos and white noise, for years.

Now I sleep without both, and my life has gotten so much better since I got off benzos, I can't even describe it in text.

I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I'd stayed on that poisonous crap.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Telis and Tamar, you guys sound like you are in the same boat as me. I didn't imagine mine could get so bad either as most people told me it gets better over time. I need to try to get off the zopiclone although I don't use it every day. Also I'm not sure the mirtazapine is doing my T any good but without something, I find sleep impossible. Even with meds I get by on about 4 hours but somehow hold down a 9 to 5 job, although it can be so exhausting. I just take one day at a time. Some days at work are just about survival till the end of the day. Unless you have this noise in your head, nobody can be expected to understand what it is really like. I've tried valerian, melatonin, etc to sleep but nothing but a sledgehammer will work on me. I can ride my bike or walk till I'm exhausted and still not sleep. One day at a time is all we can do and hope a cure comes up in our lifetime soon. Just cant give up.