Ketamine Injection

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sylvia Koch, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Sylvia Koch
      Worried

Sylvia Koch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Hello! My name is Sylvia, I'm a musician and new to this forum. I got my T back in December of 2015 from a loud noise exposure and have been struggling with it for a while now. However, during the day my T is pretty mild/ mostly whooshing in my left ear/a little ringing in the right that isn't noticeable until later in the day when it gets worse.

I've been doing my research on AM 101 and unfortunately didn't make the cut. I know that the drug used in the trials is esketamine, but I was wondering....what would the effect of Ketamine be if injected into the inner ear? Not esketamine, but just plain Ketamine. If you had the chance to get an injection of Ketamine, would you? Do you think it would help? Just curious.

Cheers guys.

2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Where do you live? Can you say who doctor does ketamine injections to ear?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvia Koch
      Worried

Sylvia Koch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I'm from Illinois, I don't know of a doctor who can do it, I'm simply curious if anyone thinks this could work/the differences between esketamine and ketamine and its effects on the inner ear.

4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I Think they are kind of different...
      but i do wonder the same...
      as far as i know Ketamine is a strong drug

5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Who knows is the simple answer I guess,everything is experimental at this stage so your guess is as good as any.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think you're going to be able to find anyone willing to do transtympanic injections of ketamine, because I don't think it's ever been tested or approved. The main advantage of AM-101 is that it's a proprietary gel which dissolves slowly; if you just injected ketamine into your ear, it would be absorbed and then wear off rather quickly.

I've seen clinical speculation that the etiology of tinnitus (at least in some cases) be relatable to the etiology of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Because certain IV ketamine protocols have been shown to have a positive impact on CRPS, it would be interesting to know what effect those same protocols would have on tinnitus patients... something no one has attempted to study, as far as I know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

8. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      I've tried Ketamine, ok not for this purpose, but anyway it had no effect on it long term.

While on Ketamine, and in the hours after it, tinnitus was there to an extreme level, but that seems common for dissociatives anyway.

I don't think injecting it into the ear would be a good idea. Obviously they've put a lot of research into finding the exact enantiomer they think may help, and at that reports so far seem to be inconclusive as to whether it actually does or not. Randomly injecting other isomers or enantiomers and hoping for the same result is really illogical to me, but what do I know I'm not a chemist or doctor!

9. PeterD1361

PeterD1361 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Hello community,

I've read similar posts on here, but just curious, it seems that there has been SOME positive results for AM-101, and many of the drugs in development (OTO-311, etc) all seem to be pointing toward these NMDA receptor antagonist theories. Are any doctors you know of experimenting with esketamine intratympanic injections? Im not talking about through a trial....I'm just asking through their own practice? I would be curious if any of the key researchers involved with any of these trials have been doing this on their own, or would be open to it? Seems worth an obvious try. These trials are all very well tolerated and safe.

Curious if anyone knows of anyone doing this? I've thought about reaching out directly to some of these lead researchers.

Thanks so much!
      Sincerely, Peter

10. Karrie

Karrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2 9 /15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental visit
      What about Ketamine IV treatment for tinnitus? I have seen it advertised for pain and depression treatment. Karrie

11. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      • Like Like x 1