Kids and Loud Music

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holly1987, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      We just got back from an Easter fair with a LOUD country music band playing in the middle of the showground. Naturally I stayed well away but did briefly watch the band on a big screen some distance away. When the camera panned to the audience I couldn't help but notice how many kids and babies were sitting right up the front near the stage with their families on the grass.

Pre tinnitus I wouldn't have thought anything of it but now I find it very concerning. Surely it's dangerous to have young children and babies near loud music? When I suggested to my sister she keep her kids away from the band she said I am just extremely paranoid these days and it's perfectly fine. Am I overreacting?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 7
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You may want to give your sister a sense of what is at stake here (and to provide links to posts by people who have had T for as long as they can remember). You are not overreacting...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No you're not. As an older gen Z, I hope I'm the last generation that has to deal with tinnitus without a treatment, and this is why.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I remember watching July 4th fireworks while sitting behind a family all of whom were wearing earplugs. I thought that was just great and I applaud your effort in helping protect your own family from possible hearing loss.

• Like Like x 4
    5. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Y
      Yes, I agree. My daughters take dance and figure skating, and I often complain about the loudness of the music at these activities. I found a really neat app and downloaded it to my iPhone that measures the decibels of the sound that one is being exposed to. From now on when I make a complaint I will use this app to show how dangerous the sound levels really are, and not just me being overly sensitive.
      More adults should be erring on the side of caution when exposing kid's ears to noise. It is one thing to expose yourself as an adult to loud noise and knowing the consequences of it; but it is quite another to expose young babies and children who are relying on the adults around them to make knowledgeable decisions for them. Such a shame.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1