Kids' Headphones & Volume Limiters

Discussion in 'Support' started by linearb, Oct 22, 2020.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had my kid in my office 4 hours a day lately because COVID-19 has killed our childcare prospects for the moment. Doing engineering work when she's listening to Elmo learn how to count is... challenging, so I have been looking at headphones for her.

I was happy to see that "volume limited headphones for kids" are very much a thing now -- but most of the ones that I saw, max out at ~90db. Obviously that's better than adult cans with no limits on them which could go much higher, but 90db is still obnoxious and given my history of hearing issues I am not taking chances with kiddo, so I am going to install additional software on the PC to further limit the actual output level the PC can make (https://sourceforge.net/projects/volumelimiter/)

I was just wondering if anyone else had dealt with this. Kiddo is actually super noise sensitive so I am not that worried about them wanting to crank the volume.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Good for you, wish my parents had done the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ;) one of the earliest pictures of me has me on my mother's back while she's mowing, with nary an earplug in sight.

If that's a contributing factor to my issues I think it's a small one; history of severe ear infections, and some other more significant stuff -- but, there's some irony to that picture, anyway.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Got a pair of BT volume limiting headphones for my daughter, and I always start playing with headphones away from me, then bring them over my head slowly to check the volume. Then I give them to my daughter.

This has saved me (or my daughter) from paying the price of a bug that resets the volume (too high?) when the headphones complete their pairing process.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      3M intentionally manufactured defected ear plugs and cause many people hearing loss.

If it wasn’t for a whistleblower 3M would still be selling the military defective earplugs!

How do they still have billions in military contracts?

6. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      Seriously you are a great parent. Wish mine told me about the 85 dB rule.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @linearb, such a good idea with the volume limiter! Is this an app that works on the smartphone as well?

I give my little girl a pair of earplugs whenever we're attending an event with loud music. I hope she's making a habit of using them!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      • Funny Funny x 2