Labyrinthine Event; Effexor/Prozac Complications — Tinnitus & Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SearchingForHelp, Apr 2, 2022.

1. SearchingForHelp

SearchingForHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthine event and SSRI SNRI
      In early 2021 I was taken to the ER after 24 hours of violent vertigo. In the days to come I noticed tinnitus and hyperacusis in my left year. It was unpleasant but bearable. A CAT scan and MRI did not show anything.

Over the next 5-6 months, the tinnitus and hyperacusis improved and went away, but I continued to have lingering visual issues, possibly due to potential migraine. My neurologist tried me on Nortriptyline for a few months but it did nothing so that was discontinued.

A few months later in November 2021 she suggested low dose extended release Effexor, which I took for 6 days until the side effects were so unpleasant that I discontinued it after speaking with her. I have had hyperacusis in both ears since then, and varying levels of high pitched tinnitus. No significant hearing loss. Due to lingering issues that seemed like withdrawal, a psychiatrist recommended low dose Prozac, which I took for two weeks. Unfortunately, the hyperacusis and tinnitus both were worse while I was on Prozac, so I stopped.

2 months later, I have high pitched tinnitus that generally is unpleasant but bearable and hyperacusis that frequently sucks - clattering silverware, abrupt sounds like chair squeaks, sometimes rustling papers, all hit me. There is what feels like a constant overexcitement in my ears and the front of my brain/sinuses. I have some ocular symptoms also, which seem to get aggravated by the hyperacusis.

I sleep terribly and find it difficult to get to sleep, stay asleep or get deep sleep. Melatonin and magnesium do nothing. The hyperacusis seems to get worse after especially bad sleep nights.

Doctors seem to pass me off to each other with no care at all. Sometimes they seem to be irritated when I explain my history. I am waiting for extensive bloodwork to come back to see if this might be something autoimmune, and I will also be seeing a new neurologist as I don’t trust my original one, to see if this might be something neurological other than medication related.

It is all very sad for me, and is greatly impacting my family relationships. I used to be the “fun” one for my son.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      Well as I see it, after my research into self healing and power of the mind for many years recently - your doctors don't seem to be getting anywhere - so research a little into self healing / energy vibrations 'vibes' and see how it goes, make it a hobby, an hour a night, and yes of course after a bad sleep night, tinnitus and hyperacusis are going to be up...

3. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants