Labyrinthitis After a Rainy Football Practice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nick Nelson10, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nick Nelson10

Nick Nelson10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sickness after a football practice. Lead to labyrinthitis
      What's up, everyone. My name is Nick. I'm a student at Georgetown University, and my tinnitus has recently been giving me a lot of struggles. I got tinnitus in October of 2104 after a rainy football practice. You're probably thinking that I got a concussion or something, right? Nope. Like I said, the practice was outside when it was raining and very windy. Once I got back to my room at boarding school, I noticed that my ear was ringing. I was very concerned, kept asking my roommate if his ear was ringing too (not sure why I would have asked that, but I remember doing so). I woke up the next morning with symptoms of labyrinthitis: intense dizziness, vertigo, nausea, and consequent hearing loss. The verdict was that I lost 40% of hearing in my left ear, meaning that I can't hear vowel sounds very well and other low-pitched frequencies. The worst part, in my opinion, was getting permanent tinnitus from this sickness.

I honestly don't think the hearing loss affects me that badly. I think that everyone has it- some people deal with it, others may not have great hearing but they don't notice that their hearing isn't great (i.e. they were born with it). Anyway, tinnitus has given me depression in some instances, made me aloof, turned me to drugs, etc. I am luckily no longer into drugs and I have also developed great academic habits. The point is that tinnitus bothers me. I don't sleep well with tinnitus and sometimes it bothers me in social situations - such as going out to bars. I just want someone to feel empathetic about this. There's actually another student here who I can relate to a lot that had the same situation happen to him and his tinnitus isn't stopping his happiness. However, I think that his personality is different.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice as to how I can combat tinnitus. Perhaps a white noise machine while I sleep? Less alcohol consumption? Drinking less it tough to do, because it's very much a social thing. Let me know of your thoughts. Any recommendations are thoroughly appreciated.

2. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I am sorry that you have to deal with tinnitus. If you study at Georgetown University did you try to contact Prof. Rauschecker (https://www.givecampus.com/schools/GeorgetownUniversity/support-tinnitus-research/). Maybe they need people with tinnitus for research (no idea if that works, but i surely would contact one of the experts in this field if i´d be in the same university).

Did the tinnitus get worse recently? Do you go to loud events without earplugs?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick Nelson10

Nick Nelson10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Deamon22, thanks for reaching out. I recently saw an ENT doctor this past weekend. No, the tinnitus hasn't gotten worse in terms of the pitch. I personally think that I am more anxious because of other things that are going on in my life, and tinnitus is contributing to the problems. I got tinnitus through a virus, so my hearing loss and tinnitus is not noise induced, thus, I don't believe I would need to wear earplugs.

Thank you so much for sending that message along about the doctor. I will definitely reach out to him. I am also planning on reaching out to Professor Janesick at Stanford who is doing research on the possibility of regrowing cochlear hairs through a gene called atoh1 found in small vertebrates like birds and alligators. Hearing loss, in short, is caused by damaged cochlear hairs near the auditory nerve... I'm going to try to collaborate with some of these people to see if cochlear hairs can be regrown in humans and mammals.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Awesome, please let us know if you can take part in any research or you get any other news from Professor Rauschecker.

My Tinnitus was also probably caused by a virus/cold or a head trauma, nontheless i would absolutely advice you to wear earplugs to any loud events (to at least prevent your hearing from getting any worse). Wish you all the best:)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick Nelson10

Nick Nelson10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow, this has been extremely helpful. Thank you for being so nice. I'll keep you updated. Cheers

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick Nelson10

Nick Nelson10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's funny you say that. I've actually been looking into tinnitus therapy, and supposedly the University of Maryland has a great program. Part of their program involves acoustic therapy, much like that of the University of Minnesota.