Lecrolyn Sine Eye Drops — Ototoxic? Safe for Tinnitus Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by UrbanBubblegum, May 23, 2020.

1. UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Hi,

I have been prescribed Lecrolyn Sine eye drops for allergies. Started Wednesday evening and am supposed to take one drop in each eye every morning and evening.

Today my tinnitus is noticeably higher and my ears are buzzing like crazy constantly.

Does anybody know if this medicine is ototoxic or can cause/spike tinnitus?:(

2. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, sorry to hear about troubles. For allergies, I completely avoid medications and have been taking allergy shots for 20 years. I find that shots work very well, and do not affect my tinnitus at all. It’s a bit labor intensive at first, going for a couple of sessions of allergy testing until the allergist gives you injections, but it is well worth it. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      @Brooklyn NY thanks for you kind words and input:) Due to conflicting diseases allergy shots is not appropriate for me.

The past year has unfortunately pointed towards a rapidly deterorating health. The diseases I struggle with in combination with drug sensitivity will likely end me in a matter of years. I hope not to suffer too much.

4. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi sorry to hear about your other problems besides tinnitus. I go to an ENT at Columbia University who is pretty good, but no one can really help our problem. She would say that very few drugs actually cause permanent damage. However, on the ATA website (American Tinnitus Association), they list ototoxic drugs which might or might not list your eye drops as an ototoxic drug. I have had 2 eye surgeries in the last year, and have taken 4 different eye drops which never bothered me. My eye doctor says that eye drops don’t really get into your system, they stay localized in the eye. In my 2 plus years of having tinnitus, drugs that I have taken that are not on that list have bothered me, but it always has been temporary. It is very unnerving, but when I have to, I will take the medication. This includes a case of the shingles. I’m still surprised that you aren’t a candidate for allergy shots. Best of luck to you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Anyone with input regarding these eyedrops? :)