Lipoflavonoid for Tinnitus? Helps or Not?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Pat, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Cappie 75

Cappie 75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Good, give it a try, can't hurt. Good luck! Let me know how you make out.

2. Dennis MacDonald
      Confused

Dennis MacDonald Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Save your receipts. They warrant the product.

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      They may warrant the product. But good luck getting your money back.

Lipoflavanoids did nothing for me, and I am surprised any doc who knows anything about tinnitus would recommend it. I did try it. Lost, maybe, $40-$50. No big deal, moved on.

4. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Its not that I don't listen. The only thing I disagree with you is the LLLT. I have been leaving with T for 7 months and I can sleep and do everything I used to. I just care about my hearing and I hope to recover some of it. "You have not try, you have not lived" I go to doctor and he wants me to try something and he is supposed to be some good knowledgeable functional medicine doctor and that's his plan for me. I try to put a trust into him. I personally don't believe it in supplements, but what am i supposed to do? Reject everything. I don't know who to trust now. It is really frustrating. Is not that frustrating? Its like chasing for the best service trying to avoid all the traps all the time. That is not fun. It is nightmare.

5. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      It's easy to listen to advice that is consistent with one's preconceived idea regarding the order of things. It's another matter to listen to advice that is inconsistent with one's preconceived ideas, even though that advice might be 100% spot on.

A perfect example!

That's what the supplement manufactureres and the Wildens of the world depend on - the fact that for many this whole thing is a nightmare.

stephen nagler

6. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Somehow true. Most of the time it is my gut feeling about things based on what I read.
      Lots of disappointments and frustrations when seeing doctors in the past made me like this. When it comes to T that though process might be coming from the dream inside that maybe I can do more then just accepting the T and not reacting to it. As I said, I feel like i am in the so called habituated state, but my research continues on.
      If I would not see people on this forum that restored their hearing I would not care, but there is some proof.
      I don't know about LLLT and ringing, but when it comes to restoration there is some evidence.
      There are times when there is a need for a supplement and it is very important. Most of the time good diet is just enough but some people are truly deficient.

7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The research goes on for me as well, @bwspot. I just try to be a little objective about it.

Well, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. To me, anecdotal evidence is not proof. There are so many variables involved in this sort of thing! The only reason you consider it to be proof is because you want it to be proof! I do not blame you. Far from it. All I am doing is calling a spade a spade. For instance, if Wilden did an audiogram on you before LLLT and another after LLLT that showed some improved hearing thresholds, I suspect you'd be pleased. But wouldn't you be just a little concerned about the legitimacy of that process? I know I would! Now if my audiologist in Atlanta did an audiogram, then I underwent LLLT in Wilden's clinic in Germany, and then six months after completing LLLT in Germany my audiologist in Atlanta did another audiogram that showed persistent statistically significant improvement, then I might be just a bit more prepared to buy into it. See where I'm coming from?

Right. And my guess would be that less than 1% of people with tinnitus who take supplements do so because of a documented deficiency. 99% of them take supplements because they have bought into the totally unsubstantiated myth that supplements are helpful for tinnitus, a myth perpetuated mostly by (surprise!) the supplement industry and to a limited extent by doctors who feel they have to offer tinnitus sufferers ... something.

stephen nagler

8. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Apologies for being off topic, but nobody in the LLLT threads has relied on audiograms from Dr. Wilden. All have been independently produced.

9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      ... and if they showed a persistent statistically significant improvement at six months after completing LLLT, a series like that might be worthy of consideration.

stephen nagler

10. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      For me, the cold hard truth is there is nothing you can do to get rid of your tinnitus. Nothing. There is no supplement to take and there is no medical cure or relief. Everybody with tinnitus eventually reaches this point in understanding, and some get there more quickly than others.

Nobody wants to hear their ENT say "you have to learn to live with it" and yet that is precisely the end state we all need to reach (habituation). And I truly believe that everyone can get there and find relief that way. But those who spend their days and their money searching for a cure are simply extending their suffering.

-Mike

11. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Agreed. But there is the science of medicine, and there is the art of medicine. How the doctor frames that information for a tinnitus sufferer (i.e., the art of medicine) can make all the difference. Because, unfortunately, not everybody reaches the "point in understanding" you are talking about.

stephen nagler

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Agree completely with @Dr. Nagler. There are a lot of ENTs out there who need to get a clue about how to helpfully handle patients when they are first given this very upsetting news. My doctor at the time was a textbook example of how to do it wrong. True, there are no proven effective treatments or cures. But there is much a patient can do to get him/herself on the road to acceptance and habituation, which will bring relief.

ENTs need to be prepared with a list of qualified resources in and outside their offices. The doctors I have now (the ones I trust) know this and are looking to help their patients make those connections. And ENTs also need to be schooled how to deliver this diagnosis in a way that is kind, compassionate and helpful. They need to be prepared for the emotional response from the patient that may come with the news they have tinnitus. If they aren't up to delicate act of communication, they need to designate someone in their office who is to be there for patients in the beginning. It makes all the difference in the world.

And sorry, we continue to stray away from the original thread here: lipoflavanoids.

13. Dennis MacDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Perhaps you should have saved your receipts.

Refund here.

I fully expect them to honor my refund when I send it in. If one looks at all of the reviews on Amazon and there are hordes, one would see that about 50% of users have more than a small degree of success. We just happen to have the type of T that does not respond to the product.

Must we not rule out for ourselves what might be causing the T in the first place? My next trip to my primary will be to discuss, change or get off of the statins as my reading points to possible causes along these lines.

Never give up!

14. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm a little disheartened that several people, despite their good intentions, are suggesting everyone just accept their condition and live with it. I heard that from two ENTs very early on and it was extremely discouraging. I am now far enough into the process where I am learning to adapt with the hearing I have. That said, I would never suggest to anyone that there is no benefit in investigating any and all reasonable treatment options. Even if you are throwing away money on things like Lipoflavenoids, as I have, you are still trying. Given the T is a condition that is as multi-headed as a cold, I don't see any reason why we should just live with it unconditionally. Accept that you will not have perfect hearing again, sure. But, as Dennis says, never give up.

• Like Like x 1
    15. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      This is exactly why i felt little convinced. I personally would do independent audiogram and I would not even tell the audiologist that i went through any treatments. The only problem for me is that experiment costs 3000$.

16. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The only problem for me is that I don't care enough to bother with it one way or the other.

stephen nagler

17. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I fully expect them to honor my refund when I send it in. If one looks at all of the reviews on Amazon and there are hordes, one would see that about 50% of users have more than a small degree of success.

@Dennis MacDonald: Would love to be proven wrong on this point regarding refunds. However, I will tell you, as someone that has dealt with consumer issues professionally, that getting refunds out of Internet companies selling supplements or healthcare products tends to be very, very difficult. But I am hoping you will get that check in the mail! Keep us posted.

I'm a little disheartened that several people, despite their good intentions, are suggesting everyone just accept their condition and live with it.

@Michael Hamond: I have posted on this before... I think sometimes, people equate "acceptance" with "giving up." At least under my definition, they are not the same.

I worked hard, for many months, to come to "accept" that I have tinnitus; that I have this medical condition. That there is no magic pill or treatment to make it go away any time soon (and possibly never). That it is now part of my life that I must cope with. That I didn't do anything "bad" or "wrong" to deserve it. That I still can live a happy, productive life with tinnitus, and I am in charge of developing a plan to make that happen.

Acceptance moves me from being a victim to being a person. It is a spiritual practice as well as a psychological one.

I, in no way, have "given up." And I encourage others here not to give up, either. I continue to actively look for ways to better manage my tinnitus. I am exploring Mindfulness Therapy now. In the past, I have tried many things that might have been helpful, including lipoflavanoids and other supplements, acupuncture, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc. I explored hyperbaric oxygen therapy but decided it was too risky, given my barotrauma history. I applied for an AM-101 trial but got turned down, as I was more than three months from onset.

I often share my experiences here at TT with this caveat: this was what happened with me regarding these treatments but your experience may be completely different. And be aware that there is NO treatment or cure out there right now proven effective through large and independent research studies. But there are glimmers of possible solutions and if you want to chase that glimmer, have at it.

I would only say to others: Spend only what you can afford to lose, because some of this stuff is expensive. Try to be realistic. And don't do anything that contains the potential for harm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Agreed.

And lipoflavinoid definitely has that potential. Not eriodictyol glycoside itself or any of the vitamins that go into the formulation, but you have absolutely no assurances whatsoever that the pill you are buying contains that stuff, nor do you have any assurances regarding what else it might contain (i.e., impurities that might be harmful). That's because the supplement industry - as opposed to the pharmaceutical industry - is totally unregulated.

stephen nagler

19. zicodobrasil

zicodobrasil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      a month
      I am assuming you are only taking ginkgo, garlic, and zinc, and not lipo-flavonoid plus and its vitamins, correct? Therefore you have noticed that your tinnitus has "faded." Find out what you are doing because you might become a very rich person if you trademark it. According to objective science, "nothing takes tinnitus away, it only worsens as you get older." Reply will be appreciated.

20. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I tried this stuff many years ago when I had a mild case of T. Then it seemed to work or it just went away after 3 months by itself.

When I got the big T event in April, I tried it again and it proved useless. my opinion is to spend your money on a good bottle of wine!

• Like Like x 1
    21. Hugh Hart

Hugh Hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2014
      I started taking Lipo Flavonoids Plus on January 1, 2015 and as of today, January 20, it's made no difference. They say you're supposed to give it three months but...

22. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Giving Lipo 3 months to work will make you poorer and not do a thing for your T. Most likely in 3 months your T will get better with or without the Lipo anyway.

23. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Has anyone here ever had any success with Lipo Flavanoid?

24. Mikey Cliff
      Fine

Mikey Cliff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      So what about people who get rid of their T? I talked to a gentleman who suffered since the 60's and says he can't hear it anymore after he started taking COQ-10 last year. Or what about the people who have made theirs better? I was seeing a therapist who had it for a few years after the military and it went away. Why do people say that it 100% of the time gets worse with age?

• Like Like x 1
    25. Dennis MacDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @LadyDi I sent in for a refund of $89.36 for a bottle of 500 tabs I believe about 4 weeks ago. Today I received a refund check for $90. That's a first. A check back for an amount greater than I spent. Meanwhile I will pass on other supplements for now as I believe they will not work for me. They may however, work for others. I would love to hear some success stories. Meanwhile my tinnitus continues to scream 24 hours a day.

Consider yourself proven wrong, at least in this one instance. Best for now.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

No success here with lipo flavanoids. They guarantee their stuff will work. The only guarantee I discovered with using their product is that my wallet ended up a lot thinner......... Rich

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Stupid me also misplaced the sales receipts/boxes for the bottles I bought so until I can find them I can't send in and try to get the refund they offered........ Rich

28. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Dennis MacDonald, congratulations! This is a case in which I am delighted to be proven wrong! I appreciate you letting me know.

The only supplement that seems to do anything for me is NAC, n-acetyl cysteine. I only take it in the event of loud noise exposure and I do believe it helps head off spikes.

29. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can report some fairly promising results from Lipoflavinoid pills. I have been taking six a day (as per recommendations) for the last few days and I have definitely noticed an immediate and noticeable difference. Before taking them, I was having terrible days with sharp, long spikes in my tinnitus and terrible hyperacusis. Upon taking two of these supplements, the ringing calmed and the hyperacusis went away. This was about 20 minutes after taking two pills. Since getting on a regular regimen, the ringing has stabilized and reduced and the hyperacusis has been subdued. It's still early days for me, but I am very pleased with results so far. This may not work for everybody (since T is such a strange, multiheaded beast) but it's worked for me so far.

30. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      Did it come back?

@Michael Hamond