Listening to Acoustic Neuromodulation Tones: Can It Worsen Tinnitus?

Jogger1

Author
Jun 8, 2019
Tinnitus Since
02/19
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hi Dr Nagler. I've asked a question on this forum before, and you have been very helpful. Thanks again for your kind service.

Just a recap I'm a 58 yr old male and have had tinnitus for 11 months. 5-6 days out of the week, it's fine. I don't notice it and only hear it when I search for it. I try not to listen for it but curiosity sometimes takes over.

On the other days, 1-2 days a week it is very noticeable. Often I'm tired and the sound by the end of the day makes me exhausted, irritable, and just feeling down right miserable.

I have found relief my listening to acoustic neuromodulation tunes offered by this website and others. It really takes the edge off.

Do yo think there is any harm in listening to these tones on my loud days? Should I listen to them consistently?

Or should I go cold turkey and just gut it out. I've gutted it out on many occasions, but it's nice to get some relief with the tones.

Thanks again for all of your guidance and wisdom.

Hello @Jogger1 ... and thank you for your question.

If you have found some music - any sort of music - that affords you relief and takes the edge off, then I am all for it. Listen as much or as little as you like. The only way listening to music can cause harm would be if you are playing it too loudly. For some guidelines in that regard please take a look at my response to @AfroSnowman's question in the thread below this one.

And as far as going cold turkey and gutting it out are concerned - maybe I am missing your point, but I can't see any reason at all to be even the slightest bit more miserable than you absolutely have to!

All the best -

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now