Listening to Music for Therapy — Doing the Right Things?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SueR, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      My appt from yesterday got postponed. I have yet to have my first appt with the audiologist, but I have no doubt it's H. I asked her about what I can do in the meantime, told her I stopped with the earplug (mostly) for everyday enviornments. One of the things she suggested was using my iPod to listen to music pleasing to my ear, or at least neutral.

I tried the iPod, but even at level 1, it was too loud. At bedtime, when everything is quiet, L-1 has always been louder than I prefer for sleeping. (w/buds). This was before H, so definitely too loud now.

Then I remembered we have music on our cable TV. The one that was pleasing was soundscape. A few notes sounded strange, but i know it was just the ear.

I'm wondering... is it just as effective to have the sound come from the TV as from an earbud? I'm guessing yes. Secondly, is it a good thing or bad thing to run the music all night? I can put a timer on, but it's good to have sounds even while I am sleeping, I'll keep it on.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Sue,

I think (and this is just my opinion) that it's actually better to have the sound coming from the TV rather than from an earbud. I've tried the earbuds, and they just seemed to aggravate my T. For me, having sound elsewhere in the room works best. And --- I don't think there's anything wrong with having the music play all night long. As long as it helps you sleep, that's a good thing!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I wasn't playing the music to help me sleep. I have been so exhausted, that I fall dead asleep. I know a lot of folks here have trouble with sleep, but not so much for me. I have to be careful not to sleep as soon as I walk in the door, zonk for 4 hours, then have trouble sleeping thru the night, but if I stay up until my normal bedtime, I'm good.

does playing while sleeping help towards sound therapy goals? or is it pointless because you are asleep?

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      That's a good question, Sue! I don't know the answer, but maybe someone else here does. Anyone?

5. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Earbuds doesn't cover bass ranges and they can't really generate lower tones very well, that leaves you with a rather nasty and unpleasant treble and midrange. In other words poison for H. I've never understood how someone can listen to anything with earbuds, not even the expensive ones. Headphones are far better cause you get a rounder more pleasant sound, it's important to get a fuller spectrum of sound cause as we know too well the treble and midrange spectrum is a challenge with H. Personally I have great difficulties with treble, it's like a poison arrow.

Although I have almost retired my headphones due to T&H I'm attaching my preferred option, the Koss Porta Pro. It has a light/firm switch for increased comfort. It's affordable and it has a good range in the lower frequencies, making the sound smoother, that goes for speech as well in case you listen to mp3 books or podcast files. When I first got T&H I stopped listening to music immediately, it wasn't until a month or so ago I started to gradually listen to speech and some music again. Today I only wear headgear when going to sleep.

Attached Files:

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I listen to a lot of audio books on my phone. I just use some light over the ear headphones. I try to keep the sound level just above the point where I can still hear things. This way I know it is not too loud because even with headsets on, I can still hear what is going on around me. I don't listen to music very often with headphones any more but when I do, I follow pretty much that same rule. Of course that doesn't lend itself to really enjoying the music because you can barely hear it. Oh well, the price I pay for having T. Nonetheless, I am alive, I have my health and life is good!

@SueR --You can listen to music at night thru a TV or stereo fine. Might be easier to do rather than try to wear headphones to bed. I used an pillow speaker for a while but it got to be uncomfortable and would always shift on me. Maybe I had a crappy one. Anyway, I also had H for many months and it takes a while to reintroduce yourself to everyday sounds and certain louder sounds so that you get to the point where they do not hurt your ears or cause you stress. It does happen over time, just know everyday sounds will not harm you.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Thanks, everyone, for your input! I'm not really a fan of earbuds myself. I did use them at the gym but that's about it. [sometimes I'd have my buds in and not even listen to anything! ...sometimes I just don't want to socialize. Shhh... don't tell anyone! lol]

I'm working on the everyday levels and haven't had a whole lot of luck yet, but I'm keeping at it.