Living with Tinnitus 33 Years After Tubes Being Placed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jess738, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Jess738

Jess738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tubes place in both ears as an infant. I'm 34 yrs old now.
      Hi All,
      At a year old, I had tubes placed in both ears to drain fluid.
      I don't know how true silence sounds like...
      I learned at a very young age how to tune tinnitus out but their are moments that I realize that I have this condition. Seeking treatment was never in my thought process. I googled tinnitus recently & found this site which is great b/c many people don't understand what We go through & I wanted to see if any new developments have surfaced. If I can be any of assistance to anyone suffering, please don't hesitate to ask.
      I helped my mom 10 years back when she had a stroke & learned she developed tinnitus. I helped her cope & taught her how distract the noice.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi Jess!

Welcome to TinnitusTalk and many thanks for offering your help and sharing your experience!

What would you say how loud your tinnitus is? What do you think is the most important thing to habituate it?

Cheers,
      TinniTom

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. PMc
      Creative

PMc Member

Manchester, England (now living in Lincolnshire)
      Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely due to antibiotics after a major operation
      Hi Jess!

What an incredibly kind-hearted person you are to offer your experiences over your life-time on how you have handled your tinnitus.

That will be such an enormous help to so many people who are wondering just how to deal with the frightening onset of tinnitus, as well as those of us who ponder over the long-term prospects of having it.

In your case, Jess, how old were you when it was explained to you about your condition?

I know that we all go through 'spikes' and then occasionally we might have some softer moments, but has your tinnitus become worse over the years or has it remained pretty stable?

Looking forward very much to hearing about your story, Jess!

Bless you for being on board ... my best wishes go to you ... and I will also include you and your mum in my prayers too!

Hope to hear from you soon ...................................... Paul

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jess738

Jess738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey TinniTom,
      Thank you for the warm welcome.
      I honestly would have to say I'm definitely in the 1200-1300 range.
      The best way to keep tinnitus at bay is to cover up the noise. Train your brain to hear other things than your tinnitus & with time your T will be in background & not a disturbance.
      Start out slow : use the tv...
      Focus on the noise of the tv. This is how I taught my mom but I'm sure you are well aware of white noise. If not, practice focusing on the white noice & eventually you will learn to tune it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Many thanks for you tipps! This is what I'm trying but it takes time (again).
      What do you mean with 1200-1300 range?
      Do you sleep in silence or with some background noises?
      Wish you all the best!
      TinniTom

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jess738

Jess738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Awe Paul you are so sweet,
      I actually had to call my mom to ask when I noticed my tinnitus. She said that as soon as I could talk , I complained about it but at the age of 2 1/2 I stopped complaining about T b/c I learned to deal with it. I have to say that I focused on another noise around me to lesson the ringing. I use to have a hard time sleeping but my mom always soothed me & she always left the tv on for me so I can focus on that noise then I will fall asleep.

NEVER MUFFLE YOUR EARS B/C IT INTENSIFIES THE RINGING....this is my opinion BUT ALWAYS PROTECT THEM IN LOUD ATMOSPHERES.

My tinnitus is stable but like you said with the occasional change in daily life like a party, concert etc. I noticed my ringing much louder but eventually it's leveled out.

I love the fact this group for people who need the support who just started with Tinnitus but I am concerned about the long term effect. I Hope people don't lurk this forum daily b/c you are calling attention to your condition & will notice it more. If not great but just the two days I have been on hear my tinnitus is very noticeable to me so limit your access.

Have a great day Paul

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jess738

Jess738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I now sleep in silence but in the past I had to have noise.
      I apologize for the numbers. I just did some online test to learn the pitch I have but mine sound like dog whistle with a little static.

8. PMc
      Creative

PMc Member

Manchester, England (now living in Lincolnshire)
      Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely due to antibiotics after a major operation
      Hi Jess!

You are a great pearl of wisdom as well as a great confidence booster ... It's so good to hear from you.

I do appreciate what you say about trying not to draw attention to it ... Many years ago, my wife and I had very noisy neighbours, and the best way we found of dealing with the noise was to shut it out of our thoughts ... because the more we listened to it, or got angry about it, or worried about it, then the 'louder' it became. I had no idea at that time, that it was a great foundation for helping me to deal with my tinnitus, years later!

You are an inspiration, Jess ... and I do hope our paths will cross again soon ....................... Paul

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk @jess739 and great you are hear to support other members .....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 3
    10. Devjt2

Devjt2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Thank you @Jess738 for sharing your story. We all take some solace in knowing that it can get better.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jess738

Jess738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thank you Glynis

12. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you Jess for your insights. I think a long holiday away from internet access would do many of us a lot of good. Next year I get a bit of money from a pension plan. I'm considering going on a journey to Mongolia keeping away from internet as much as possible. Be interesting to see how this affects T.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jess738

Jess738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Omg, Mongolia
      Take lots of pictures.