Long-Term Prognosis: Will the Noise Increase, Decrease or Stay the Same Over Time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by George, Jan 7, 2014.

1. George

George Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Question please: as time goes on, will the severity of tinnitus mostly likely increase, decrease, or stay the same?

2. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi George. Not sure if I am of much help but I think it really depends. Mine remained quiet for 5 years to the extent that I even forgot it existed. That was until a huge stress period 2 years ago that led to a TMJD diagnosis, and unforeseen sound trauma recently. So I am back to square one with louder T. I guess if there are no exacerbating factors, tinnitus by itself should stay the same or even decrease?

The burning question for me has always been if it would become louder as I slowly develop age-related hearing loss? I think that would be my greatest fear - the slow descent into this ringing void.

3. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      In theory it will stay the same

4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hello, George. I think it depends a lot on the person. Some people have been reported to live with it for decades without it getting worse, while for others it can get worse in a much shorter period. It would probably be reasonable to protect yourself from loud noise and find methods to cope with stress. Sure it cant be made 100% sure whether it will get worse or not but we can do the best we can to avoid it.