Longer Exposure to Low Volume High Frequency Pure Tone

Discussion in 'Support' started by MilesD, Jul 30, 2018.

1. MilesD

MilesD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      about 2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello,

Could so. Please help me out with the following question:

Can a onetime exposure of 30 to 40 MINUTES to a high frequency pure tone at a low to moderate volume (below 70-80 dB, perhaps 60 dB?) cause permanent change or damage?

I was in a meeting and an electronic device emitted a high-frequency pure tone while people were talking. It was louder than the usual electronic devices sounds only some pick up like from refrigerators or TVs. The sound was objectively there for everyone to hear (I checked with my colleague) but everyone else focused on the meeting, though my colleague said it got on his nerves.

I could not measure the loudness but we were about 10 people each taking a turn in talking, also at low levels, and we could hear each other without any problems but the high-pitch sound in the background was always noticeable.

My T is also high frequency, but the tone from the device was higher and louder. 3 days everything was fine, now dealing with a spike.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    2. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The fact it wasn't instant, or loud enough to hinder your meeting leads me to think that your spike is caused by your anxiety regarding this specific sound and not physical hearing damage.

Stop focusing on it and worrying about it and you will be fine.