Looking for words of encouragement

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DesertMama, Apr 2, 2014.

1. DesertMama

DesertMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hello everyone,
      I am 31 years old and have had tinnitus for about 5-6 years now. My tinnitus started suddenly one day with extreme "tea kettle" like whistling, hyperacusis, and severe dizziness. Of course, I was evaluated by numerous doctors who could find no physical reason for my tinnitus and basically told me that I had to learn to live with it. Over time, the severity of the noise lessened and I habituated to my tinnitus. It really only bothered me when I was in a quiet room. Over the last five years, I have had what I call "attacks" of the severe ringing lasting a few hours or so followed by long periods of more manageable tinnitus. I have been evaluated for Meniere's Disease but was told that I did not have it since I have no hearing loss.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago. I was in my last trimester of my pregnancy when I had an "attack" of tinnitus. However, contrary to my previous experiences, my baseline tinnitus has worsened significantly and seems to be progressively worsening since I had my daughter 6 weeks ago. Now, I have the tinnitus in both ears, although it is worse in my right.

I am terrified that my tinnitus will continue to worsen. Every time I get used to the level of noise, it seems to get worse (and for no apparent reason). I would love to hear some words of encouragement. It's pretty scary right now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Dmama, right now I think you should focus all your attention on your new baby daughter. Relief will come just as it has in the past:huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im really sorry to hear that your T is not so good right now. Like you everyone here has it to some level and most of us are here for kind words and help also! Im no doctor but Your T could be goin through a big spike at the moment which could very well be some monthes until it drops back down again. Maybe some stress is causing it to stay or worsen cause you mentioned you recently had a daughter 6 weeks ago.. Which is the most amazing thing ever but can also be a lil stressful in the beginning and stress can definally have an effect on T. I think it will be drop back down to baseline soon for you tho just keep your spirits high and have hope! :)

• Like Like x 3
    4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I can't imagine the stress of having a baby and a tinnitus flare up. :(

I sit around and complain that I'm single and have an emotionally unstable cat. photo (4).JPG
      I attached a picture as proof, and laughs.

Anyway, it sounds like you're going through an awful lot. Keep your head up. You have a good opportunity to stay very busy with your new baby. Hopefully this will speed along your habituation. Hang in there! :) You have habituated once, and doing it again is possible!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey DM, first off congrats on baby daughter!! Blessings!! I am sure you are challenged to get proper sleep (I have 3 boys, been thru it!). Sleep is essential to dealing with T (tinnitus)!!!! I have severe, extreme T, and have had my dark, dark times. But I have habituated, mainly due to getting into a solid sleep pattern. I truly believe that you will start doing much better as you are able to get back to a regular sleep schedule. (y)

You can and will have a joy filled life despite your T!!!!! Review some of the threads here on TT under "Success Stories". Victory over T is possible!!! You will!!!!

Congrats again on baby girl!!! Focus on her and getting some zzz's!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Lmao cute cat though ;)

• Like Like x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Congrats on your new baby. I agree with Jeff. T is loudest when there is not good sleep. How do I know? Well, every time I had jet lag coming back from a trip, my T would go through the roof during the day as I was dozing often. This would last till my sleep pattern is back to order and it would return to baseline (and my baseline is still a loud and ultra high pitched T but more tolerable). So with the stress of caring a new born and the out of sleep condition of the brain, you may need to just accept the T for the time being while you focus on your baby. Don't worry about it getting worst and relax as much as you can. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks! With a cat that cute, you would think the ladies would be lining up at my door, right?

"Hey, come over and meet my shaved weird cat." It's not a good pick up line though. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ahaha aww hell yeah that cat could
      Do some wonders for ya lol you know its kinda funny cause im seriously alergic to cats like to the point where i swell up and get these hives all over and my partner has 4 cats and we always discuss how when we move in with eachother that im gonna get a hairless cat with those cool ears and name it gizmo lol but found out that even with a hairless cat i could still get allergic :-( so puppies it will beee :)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DesertMama

DesertMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Thanks Gary. That is what I keep telling myself. On the bad days it is so hard to stay positive, but I know that there is a lot that I have to be grateful for

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DesertMama

DesertMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      I could definitely use the laugh. What an awesome cat! Thanks for the kind words.

12. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @DesertMama,

I'm attaching an article about tinnitus and women's hormonal changes (including during and after pregnancy):
      http://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/hormonal-changes-in-women-tinnitus/#.Uzv22LmPJok

While there is no proof that hormonal fluctuations can cause or worsen tinnitus, I believe there is some validity to that theory. My daughter is 33; before her baby was born, and for awhile after (while nursing), she had tinnitus. Then, a few months later, it went away for unknown reasons. I believe the hormonal changes plus the stress of pregnancy and childbirth might have played a role.

Please give it some time, enjoy your beautiful baby, and see if the tinnitus doesn't subside on its own after awhile.

Best wishes and congratulations,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DesertMama

DesertMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Karen, Thanks so much. This gives me hope. I am hopeful that my tinnitus returns to baseline once the stress reduces and I wean my daughter. I truly appreciate you taking the time to send this to me!