Looking to Find Cause of Tinnitus: What Tests Should I Ask My Doctor/ ENT?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ella114, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Ella114

Ella114 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD probably?
      Hi guys,

Coming in three months with tinnitus, I've noticed the volume decrease A LOT since then and rarely bothers me now as I only hear it when it's quiet before bed.

Though the only thing that is bothersome is the feeling of fullness in my right ear, like it's clogged... my right nostril is also congested so I feel that's connected, as well as popping/clicking in my ears when I swallow or do a half yawn.

I still want to know the real cause of my tinnitus so I need some advice on what tests I should undergo, any advice will help :)

Good to note that I've done a hearing test but not a high frequency one and I also grind my teeth at night and chew threw my essix retainers very easily.

Again, any advice on what tests I should undergo will help :) thank you!

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @Ella114,

What tests did you end up having?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Aravind Pillai
      Probing

Aravind Pillai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, what tests did you end up having?

4. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      I think this is pretty common for many people who get tinnitus especially during the early days/months. This is just my personal opinion, but if yours has calmed down and faded to the point where you can only hear it before going to bed, probably isn't worth trying to search for the cause as it will just keep your mind focused on the tinnitus. If it's already faded this much after three months, you should have nothing to worry about as long as you're cautious with noise.

You're incredibly lucky, after four months I can still hear mine over everything and would gladly accept only being able to hear it in quiet places. I've spent every day wondering what the cause was and it drives me insane. Do yourself and your mind a favour and move on, you'll be better off for it. Congrats on your progress!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ella114

Ella114 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD probably?
      Thanks for your reply! But I have to disagree, I think it’s definitely worth trying to search for the cause of my tinnitus. Yes I’ll be focusing on it and thinking about it but I would also be thinking what if I found the cause and something can be done about it?

Besides the tinnitus I have other symptoms like
      • unable to relieve the pressure in both ears, not even when I swallow or plug my nose
      • clogged nostrils
      • mucus in my throat for 3+ months now
      • clicking and popping in my ears when I swallow or when I half yawn
      The tinnitus isn’t the only thing that concerns me, it’s these symptoms as well.

I do count myself lucky and fully sympathize with individuals like yourself who hear it over just about anything. But I think it’s important to remind myself that just because it’s low in volume doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause me stress and anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      Say NO to a tympanogram. That’s what gave me tinnitus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ella114

Ella114 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD probably?
      Is that the thing that goes into your ear and plays various sounds? / tests the pressure? I think I already had that test taken two months ago.