Loratadine and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dead Ringer, May 10, 2017.

1. Dead Ringer

Dead Ringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loratadine
      After 10 weeks of tinnitus that ranged from a mild buzz to a sleep waking high pitched ring, it seems to have finally stopped. I tried changing my allergy medication from Loratadine to Loratadine-D hoping that the decongestant would help, but to no avail. I tried Ginkgo biloba, I tried B12, but nothing seemed to help. I finally decided to stop all medications and supplements and let my body reset. After a day and a half the ringing stopped. What gives?

I decided to do some research into my allergy medication and lo and behold tinnitus is a side effect. Albeit rare, but mostly affecting women.

So, if you are a woman and taking Claritin or any generic allergy medicine that contains Loratadine, may I suggest you stop for a few days and see if your results are the same.

My sympathy to anyone who suffers with this very frustrating condition. I was going crazy with mine, lashing out at those who love me and contemplating suicide, as I could not wrap my head around living with the noise 24/7/365 for the rest of my life.

I have an appointment with an audiologist on Thursday and even though the ringing has stopped I still plan to attend this appointment.

2. Mary-Lou
      Creative

Mary-Lou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, at this point
      Hello, I have been taking Claritin, which contains Loratadine, for 2 weeks now and it has caused my tinnitus to become extremely loud. It actually sounds like an echo in my left ear, when I speak or when someone speaks to me. I have done some research and apparently, one of the side effects of Claritin is "ringing in the ears". This is the 1st day that I have stopped taking Claritin and will cease taking this medication in hopes that this will clear up the worsening of my tinnitus.

Any thoughts?