Loud Exposure (Fireworks), Please Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Seawater7, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I was walking outside last night when I heard a loud firework go off from behind my neighbors house, I was walking in the street so the distance must have been about 80ft from the firework that appeared over their house, and not very high up. I heard the consumer legal fireworks here can be 150 dB to 170 dB.

I instantly put my hands to my ears and heard a increase in my tinnitus.

Can this cause hearing damage??

I feel so frustrated as I am always careful about protecting my ears.

Was I far enough to be safe for sure or am I at risk?

Feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Seawater7 I experienced the same as you last year at about the same distance. I think I posted about it. I had a low spike for a few days, but maybe not because my tinnitus ranges between very loud and super loud. Whenever I have a loud noise experience, usually within a week or two I will experience slightly lower T than my normal for a few days. I used magnesium glycinate at 200mg for a few days after a noise exposure.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You can use the inverse square law to calculate the approximate sound level you were exposed to.
      http://www.wkcgroup.com/tools-room/inverse-square-law-sound-calculator/
      I doubt the firework would be more than 150db. Let's say the firework was 150db and you were 80 feet away, you could have been exposed to around 120db (although nearby buildings can dampen the sound), which is generally considered the maximum level of sudden noise, before your hearing is harmed. You should be OK. I have had a similar experience without any long term changes to T. Most of us have had these expereinces, and at the time they cause a lot of anxiety. I had a huge balloon bang about 1 metre away from me inside a friends house. It was no ordinary sized balloon, it was a least 3 times the size. A kid was playing with it as I was walking past and BANG. It must have been over 120 db and in a small hallway. I cringe when I think about it but I didnt notice any changes in my hearing. I prefer increases to T than any loss of hearing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you.. i am still worried though that the decible level could have been 170 though and that i might have hearing damage because of this at 80ft.

5. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I think it would be nearly impossible for you to be exposed to 170db, given the distance, the open air and the fact that they are around that loud at the point of explosion.

People exposed to bomb blasts report immediate ringing, fullness and deafness from the noise. You are not reporting that.

It has been an exposure to a loud noise and will certainly result in anxiety. Best thing you can try and do is calm yourself and take your mind away from worrying about it. I know this is very difficult, but the exposure will likely have been much less than 170db

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How can i know if the neighbor shooting off a large firework will cause me hearing damage?

They launch up about 30ft above the house it looks like and they are very loud. How is this legal?

I read they are up to 170db?

Does anyone know how loud consumer fireworks that launch and explode like a real firework show are. I know they are not as loud as the city uses but they are much closer to us.

The decible per meter charts make no sense to me

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What chart are you talking about specifically? (a link to the chart would help)

I suspect it's an attenuation chart (ie how decibels decrease with distance from the sound source). What do you not understand about it?

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes, they are very loud and can cause permanent hearing damage.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, that chart. I don't understand how to determin how many desibles decrease by 80ft.

Thank you

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Can you provide a link so we both look at the same chart?

11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Ugg. The Forth of July is my worse nightmare holiday. Where I live a huge barge is charted and sets off thousands of dollars worth of display over the ocean. We live right at the cliff of the action and the sounds are so painful and so close up and twice as bad because of the water and usual overcast that traps the blast noises.

This area is usually shut down so there is no leaving unless you go away a week before hand. Thousands of people come in this area for the event.

What do I usually do? Cotton balls tightly rolled up and my bose headset. Even with that the bone conduction still occurs just like at the dentist drilling.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What would 170 db be at 80 feet though?
      I heard 140db can cause hearing damage

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      About a month ago, I was subjected to a noise that I was sure would cause damage. My tinnitus spike ended up being temporary. Try to stay calm. There is still a good chance that you will be ok.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      170db at 80 feet away would be around 140db.

15. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      To quote “we are the unluckiest people” as far as noises go. Always seem to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is the typical perception I, as well as most people I’ve read here. Just a couple of my “unlucky” (a bus horn sounded as I was walking on the sidewalk, right when he was beside me—a jet flys over me at low altitude—a plate drops in restaurant—a loud intercom at Home Depot, etc)

My perception of noise changed dramatically when my T started, where these brief loud sounds never bothered me, now they terrify me. I know it’s anxiety driven. I always try to calculate the dB level as well. My T will spike-an hour, a day, 3 or 4 days, maybe even a week or so, like with the bus, but it always calms back down.

In theory, T levels can be affected by anxiety levels and I firmly believe that these sudden loud noises that “only we hear” are magnified in our brains.

Please try and reassure yourself, it will be OK. The sooner you quit expensing all this energy on something you cannot change, the sooner the healing can begin.

All the best to you, it will be fine. Please believe that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What was your spike from??? I just experienced a firework about 3 houses away in my backyard :( I'm scared!!! I took NAC and magnesium.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had countless spikes, as a result of things like slamming doors. In addition, I have been reading this forum over the past 29 months, and I got to read about other people's spikes. Permanent spikes are rare. If you were right next to the firework, I would worry. I think you can safely assume that this is going to be a temporary spike. Note that temporary spikes can last for over three months. If you don't experience any fading within the next 4-6 weeks, than it would be worrisome.

18. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You do realize the two are linked?

19. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm sorry this won't directly be helpful but on the recent 4th, we were about 2000 feet from a large commercial fireworks display. At our seats, most of the larger explosions were 95db. Many were quieter. Then the finale with tons going off at once was 100db.

I wore earplugs the whole time just to be safe.

Now using an attenuation calculator, it says working backwards the source explosion would have been 160db; a different calculator says 155 db. The 155db taken at 80 feet would be attenuated down to 122db, according to that last calculator.

I can't say the affect of momentary 122db, but I suspect it would be temporary. Good luck!

20. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      I was at a park earlier and someone started randomly shooting off fireworks and there were a lot of loud noises for a minute or so. Really loud "boom" at least 3-4 times. No idea how far away it was, but it sounded like it might've been in one of the neighborhoods across the street. Didn't see any fireworks in the sky either and so couldn't really pinpoint well; there are also a lot of trees in the park. Have a bit of a spike and I'm not sure if it's due to my anxiety of worrying about this or a legit spike from the noises. No hearing protection or anything as I was outdoors and in the middle of a sporting match. Hope it was not 130db+ or more from where we were at the time.

Tonight is the twentieth anniversary of the tragic 9/11 event and so I'd imagine that is why. I'd never heard fireworks before on 9/11.