Loud Highway Noise, Want to Wear Earplugs — Occlusion Effect?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mish.xo, Feb 6, 2020.

1. mish.xo

mish.xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey everyone,

I posted yesterday as I’m experiencing new noises due to hopefully some fluid in the ear that should clear up with nasal spray. I feel I’m also more sensitive to noise right now.

Regardless, I travel home from uni every weekend with my boyfriend. I ride passenger so no worries about not being able to hear important things. However, for a long time now (maybe since I got tinnitus) the long (45 minutes plus) exposure to highway noise in his small car makes me have very brief spikes in my tinnitus when I get out of the car. They have always resolved quickly (15 minutes maximum) but I worry greatly about doing continuous damage. I measured at peak 93 dBC on my phone during driving, usually sitting at 85 dBC. I realize phone decibel meters aren’t super accurate but I’m still worried. (Also should I be measuring in decibel A, C or Z? I never understood that, I’ve just been using the one with highest readings to be safe).

So my problem is, I want to wear plugs. But when I do it seems SO much louder and I seem to still get the short spike! occlusion effect? I currently don’t have muffs and would like to avoid them if possible but if it comes down to it I will get some if it will solve this problem. I’m just so terrified of doing any damage so I’d like to protect on highways. I wear plugs during my commute to school on the bus and don’t experience much occlusion at all. So I’m very confused.

In case it matters; I use 30 dB soft foam plugs from the drug store.

Any advice?? Thank you!

• Good Question Good Question x 1