Loud Music Through Headphones (+ Anxiety and Panic Attacks) Probably Caused My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mr Chinnery, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Watch Hazel share good news about tinnitus
    1. Mr Chinnery

Mr Chinnery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hello there.

I first discovered I had tinnitus in January of 2020.

I am a DJ and producer and was engineering music in headphones very loudly one weekend. Nothing happened immediately, in fact it took a whole four days until I developed a little 16-bit Nintendo jingle in my left ear. It is only my left ear for some reason.

I believe it to be the loudness of the music which caused this, although I had also been suffering anxiety and panic attacks prior which I believe can be contributing factors for such auditory conditions. This noise was mildly irritating, but changed into a distressing loud whistle which in turn subsided back to the familiar 16 bit ditties in under a week.

Believing this to be a minor temporary aliment I flew to Germany, as I was booked to perform at a rave in a club. I was unsure but I wore earplugs. Bear in mid these were crap earplugs with useless dB protection and I was near speakers. The tinnitus returned louder which freaked me out and I cancelled all upcoming bookings. The spike lasted under a week.

Then COVID-19 happened which was the perfect time to rest my ears. I had two sets of custom earplugs made up during this time 30 dB and 35 dB reduction and my tinnitus was fine. I was able to listen to music as normal at home without any problems even without plugs.

All the way until late June 2021 when I got a tattoo.
      The tattoo gun had spiked my tinnitus before but only for a day or two. However, this time I wore my earplugs, and when the bone on my shoulder was tattooed I felt vibrations go up through the bone and into my ear. An ear that was blocked with an earplug which caused the occlusion effect and a spike that is only just fading. I learnt that I shouldn't wear earplugs for tattoos.

My tinnitus at its worst is a whirring whistle but of late is fading to the 16 bit Nintendo noises that I have grown to like. Since this tattoo I have been more careful with the volume of music and TV which seems louder.

My audiologist has recommended listening to brown noise through headphones. I queried this as on this board headphones are a no go. However I am finding some success with the noise. No music through headphones just brown noise.

I have decided that I won't be playing in clubs as my confidence has been shaken. No more attending gigs either for now at least.

However, I am booked at an outdoor festival in September and I am considering wearing my 35 dB reduction plugs setting up behind the speakers leaving the area as soon as I have played and taking another long break after that.

I have friends in bands who play live with tinnitus and use the plugs and I am hoping an outdoor setting would be better then a loud club with beats ricocheting off the walls.

If after playing an outdoor fest with 35 dB reduction it spikes I am officially giving up and concentrating on other things for a good few years.

Well that's my story, thank you for reading.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1