Loud places, swimming, and planes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ben Jubel, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ben Jubel
      Wishful

Ben Jubel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/05/2013
      What loud places should I avoid if I have T?

Does swimming or riding on an airplane worse tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Loud clubs. Loud bars. You can have earplugs with you and plug them in if you feel the noise level around you is uncomfortable.

Swimming did not worsen my tinnitus. I hear it more when i have the head under water but it is all.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Jubel
      Wishful

Ben Jubel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/05/2013
      I head that if you are in quiet place it's bad because you are putting more focus on the tinnitus

4. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Ben, don't be in completely silent places, have some background white noise on.
      I don't know about swimming or riding, but plane rides effects the ringing temporarily, unless you're sitting at the very back of the plane where engine noise is very loud then the damage can be permanent.

5. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I used to love silence but silence is now my enemy. By all means avoid any place that would further damage your hearing. Just carry some earplugs and if in doubt wear them.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Jubel
      Wishful

Ben Jubel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/05/2013
      There are two upcoming soccer games that me and my dad have tickets to. One will have 5k and the other 10k (attendance). I just don't want to risk anything so I told my dad I don't want to go. He said I should wear ear plugs but I'm still unsure :(

7. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I would go there and take good earplugs with me and also ear defenders if you are very afraid, even if it looks a bit funny but during the game no one will look at you anyway. If you don't feel good, you can always leave, don't feel bad about it...

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. Hopeful
      Wishful

Hopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I just wanted to agree on this part, especially.

9. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Swimming didn't for me (that I know of) and I'm a regular swimmer.

However, you are exposed to the common maladies related to swimming. If you swim in cold water (not in indoor pools) you may suffer exostosis (surfer’s ear). You have an increased chance of infection while your ears are wet (nothing to worry about). The chlorine in the water could irritate your ear (doesn’t happen to all people). If you go underwater, or even blow air too hard you may suffer discomfort in your ear, or even suffer a small rupture in your eardrum that heals in a couple of weeks. You could swim with earplugs, but be aware you would be pushing the ear wax inside your ear.

Kansas City Chiefs fans at Arrowhead Stadium hit 137.5 decibels to set world record Read more: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/10/15/Kansas-City-Chiefs-fans-at-Arrowhead-Stadium-hit-1375-decibels-to-set-world-record/3211381843112/

Sound is twice as loud every 10 decibels. 120 db is 32 times as loud as 70 dB. 137 is louder than a military jet aircraft take-off with afterburner at 50 feet. Eardrum rupture is around 150db.

• Like Like x 3