Loud places to avoid...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi all..I was just reading a post by karianne .she went to karaoke with ear plugs and T has spiked .
      I am just wondering what places should we avoid ?here is places I would avoid.
      1)movies
      2) concerts
      3)live music
      4)loud restaurants
      5) loud bar
      6) wedding receptions
      7)birth day parties with music

So where else can we go ??and how long can we avoid these places ?how do we avoid these places ??

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Some more places you should take precautions(wear ear plugs) is when usings
      vacuum cleaners/dust busters, in the metro (trains), power tools as well. Carry a dB reader on your phone that's been calibrated properly.
      As for some of the places you listed you can avoid them to a certain extent, but you have to live. For example I am a musician and know that if I quit all my music I would be very unhappy. I also was invited to a friend's bachelor party party next week and they're going to a Karaoke bar. I know that if I skip it because of fear of my T I will regret it and don't want to miss out on life. Even if my T spikes a bit. There are musicians, construction workers, landscapers, sound engineers, and many others that have to expose themselves to a small level of noise to do there job. With sound protection used correctly you can live your life.

3. Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I have been to both wedding receptions and loud restaurants without any problems, and I think my recent spike is as much due to anxiety as the loud noises I have been exposed to lately. I think our worst enemy is our fear and anxiety and that this is what spins us out of Balance. Hopefully I will be able to snap out of it although life is rather bleek at the moment and I'm having a hard time coping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Well i guesss the point really is to avoid all the places that seem to loud. For example not all movies are too loud etc. If it seems to loud just leae.
      @Karianne I agree, however sometimes the damage builds up and the increase in tinnitus come after several years. But of course tinnitus is a very complex issue and mental problems can make it (seem) worse.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011

6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Karianne Relapses happen. We habituated before we will get their again! Hang in therem. Time it takes time.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Please let us know when your T subsides. I had spike after a movie and I think it took 2 months for T to settle down .
      I had MEGA T after a concert and spike lasted 4 months !!!those 4 months was like living a life in torture chamber !i don't wish tha upon my worst enemy !

8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @SoulStation you say you love your music. Does it need to be played loud? Have you habituated?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Btw , one thing sure that protects me is 33db ear plugs .i went to bar couple of times and I know these plugs were a life saver !

10. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      We are a stupid people.
      'And even though most of us don’t think too much about it, iPod hearing loss is a serious risk for many iPod users.

A growing body of research is showing that how we listen to our iPods can cause lasting hearing damage. The iPod can produce a maximum of 100-115 decibels (software limits European iPods to 100 db; U.S. models have been measured higher), which is the equivalent of attending a rock concert.

Some studies have even found that some people in their 20s have hearing loss more typical of 50 year olds, thanks to this kind of exposure (of course, this isn’t an iPod-specific problem: Walkman users had the same problem in the 1980s)'

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Hopefully mine will settle down and if/when it does I will come back and share the news and not just drop out like most people who gets better do. But I think it's natural for people to just move on and stop thinking about T once they habituate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      80% of sufferers habituate naturally and others may find help in TRT.

13. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey @Ken219 ---Trust me I am ALL about playing as soft as humanly possible. But I play in a wedding band so I can only go so far to keep our volume low. We play long sets and it can get loud. I'm constantly checking to see if my ear plugs are correctly seated in my ears. I have habituated to a small extent. I've been getting some improvement with the use of flexeril (muscle relaxant), ACRN, NAC, Magnesium, Lipoflavanoids, and Arches formula. I spend way too much money on supplements but the flexeril has helped at least for the time being. (See the thread under treatments)

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Being a musician do you use musician earplugs? How loud does practice and other musical related events get? Any earplug recommendations?

15. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I use molded musician plugs that I obtained from an audiologist. (Much easier to take in/out then foam)
      You can choose the filter type (noise reduction) and I have the ETY-25 (mean reduction of 25 dB). When things are REALLY loud though I used a regular high quality foam plug i.e. Howard Leight or Hearos with a 33 dB NRR.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Do you Guys wear plugs while driving ?

17. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Windows are always up.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I also keep windows up ..but I do wear ear plugs .

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Ken - I am sure hundred of thousands of ppl are getting T because of IPod ..I got it cuz or IPod . So stupid there is no awareness about T what so ever !

20. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      They only warn you about hearing loss or damage but never Tinnitus!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Can you believe all these high school kids will go through in few years ?it seems lot of them
      Can't live without iPod .

22. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Up until about 2 years ago, I only wore headphones during workouts for about 20 years. I believe I was spared from T early on only bc I didn't listen to them all the time but only about 1 hour every other day or so. Kids walking around wearing them every where they go are in for a rude awakening. The sound clarity and volume is superior to anything I had and they insert into the eardrum. Good luck Generation T!

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Sad way to think but more ppl get T ..earlier will be the cure !. I hope some cures come along in next few years .

24. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      2020's and 2030's are gonna be HORRIBLE for hearing loss and tinnitus. All these ipods will be comin back for revenge by giving all the users T. They will find a cure soon.---- sooner or later apple ipods might go outta buisness if enough people are suing/ complaing about getting T from them. That willll be the futureee. It will be 30-50 % of the population with hearing loss and T cause you figure T aint goin nowhere for anyone lol that number will just keep climbing from 10% until it gets everyone if they dont come up with a soultion.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Understanding what caused or is causing each individuals Tinnitus is key. Because so many variables are involved it's not likely a magic bullet will ever exist. For example, Pulsating T can be cured for some people IF the source is found.

26. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Sean yes sad but I'm sure a lot of people are thinking it. You just said it.

27. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Never say never ;)

• Agree Agree x 1