Loud store next to a racetrack

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mommaof2, May 19, 2014.

1. Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      I was at a store that was RIGHT next door to a car racetrack. When we walked into the store we did not think that it was right next door. As we were in the store we started hearing the vroom vroom sound then they started doing laps. I took out my db meter on my phone it said that it was 58 bd. I always round up so say 65. I was very nervous in the store. Then as we were leaving we lucked out and all the noise has stopped. We got into the car. BUT then of course what we had to pick up was on the side door right next to the race track. We got there there was no noise still. As I was sitting in the car the race cars started up just idling no racing. Again I took out my db meter and it said that the sound was 58-65. I had my ear plugs in and put kids ones in my kids. Now could that level make my T worse or am I just thinking that is spiked because I am so worried about it. My hubby raised a good point that there had to be rules and limitations about the sound level next to a racetrack with the employees in the store otherwise every employee who worked an 8 hour shift would have some sort of hearing loss.
      Thanks!!

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Judging by how long you were there I wouldnt imagine it was damageing at all Mo2.58db isnt loud at all a household lawnmowner is about 100db loud so this was nearly half as loud as a lawnmower from where you were standing.65db isnt considered dangerous to hearing even after hours of exposure.Your husband is correct there are strict limitations on noise pollution at race tracks,at least in Ireland and the UK there is I cant answer specifically for the States but its most likely the same rules apply there also.I use to atend track days here in Ireland and there were strict rules about noise,any cars with loud exhausts over a certain db were refused entry to the track no exceptions.Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      Thank you very much bill 112!!!

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      58 dbs is not damaging (unless it is present for a loooong time; the effects of sound are cumulative). A damaging level of sound is 90 db (instantaneous) or more.

You asked if it can make your T louder; I would say that any noise that annoys you can make your T louder (because you are annoyed -- it's an anxiety thing). At least that is how it effects my T.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      Thank you Mark McDill. I am sure you are right- that I am making my T louder because I am worried about it!!!

6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      58 db is like nothing. Regular speaking is about 52 db. You really shouldn't worry about noise levels like that and be careful not to over use ear plugs in situations like that because it will make you extremely sensitive to everyday noises with time.

7. 58 is like a quiet bedroom. I mesasured my own speaking voice with my iphone to 70-75db at 50 centimeters distance.

8. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      I really don't think you have anything to worry about since up to 85 decibels you can be carefree and even higher if not exposed for too long. Besides, you put your plugs in as soon as possible, so that's all good :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      Thank you everyone for your nice replies. You have put me a bit at ease!!!

10. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Don't trust your phone DB meter, it's totally inaccurate, the reading you got is for an almost silent room for human ears.