Loud Tone for a Few Seconds — Fleeting / Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Have You Experienced Fleeting Tinnitus?

1. Yes, even before I got chronic tinnitus

2. Yes, only after I got chronic tinnitus

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Same as everyone else, first like two months i barely had it and then boom i was getting it 2-4 times a day sometimes one right after another and it scared the hell outta me! But always goes away so try and relax bout it. I had my first fleeting T last week where my whole ear went deaf and startin ringing but i remember that happening way before i got T so it seems normal!

2. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      fleeting T is when the ear feels full and you hear eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee very loud for 10 seconds?

I've had that last week, only once... I'm always worried it will be permanent!

3. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Don't worry about it. It's usually more frequent in the first few months as far as I know and becomes less with time. I used to get it a lot in my second month of T but now i get it like once in 3-4 days. it's also nothing to be concerned about and is very common with all of us.
      And yeah, that eeeeeee for 10 seconds sucks big time

4. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      I notice i was having fleeting T when I was really worried about it. You might feel tense or anxious. Try some relaxation methods, I highly doubt it will become constant. You will be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      WHen my T first started i had it about 30 times a day, it will calm down in time.

6. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Right before I get a fleeting T -"attack" my chronic T seems to go away for something like half a second. Then the fleeting T-tone starts and fades away as the chronic T regains its regular volume. It's weird, but I see it kind of as an assurance that my brain CAN actually undo the chronic T-noise.

Not really sure what I want to achieve with this post, but just wanted to ask if anyone else experience the same thing?

7. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes, I get that too.. But it seems to be deeply related to my neck..

It usually happens when I stretch my SCM, levator scapulae and sometimes trapezius..

It usually happens when I do this:

"Sternal division: Turn the head fully to side of the muscle to be stretched, tipping chin downward towards the shoulder. (This may seem backwards, but it increases the distance between sternum and mastoid process.) Hold for just a few seconds and return to neutral position.

Clavicular division: Turn head to side opposite the muscle being treated and raise the chin."

Also the levator scapulae seems to be able to trigger this weird event.

For me it seems like the Clavicular head of the SCM is what makes the biggest difference.
      Second the levator scapulae and then the sternal head of the SCM.

Not sure if this relates to you, but at least this is what I have experienced.

8. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Yikes I had a moment where I thought I was gonna get fleeting T because my ear felt full and silent for a moment but then it was like that for a full minute with no loud fleeting T and I almost had a panic attack because I thought I was getting that unexplained sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Thankfully that feeling went away after a minute or so. That was really scary.

9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I had that like 2 weeks ago... Partial deaf then then fleeting T.. Almosr had a panic attack too for same reason... But thats always happened to me my whole life so im assuming its normal! Just scary everytime it happens. I usually get fleeting T everyday or so sometimes on a good week like once but still scares me.

10. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I recently started to get fleeting T about 10+ times a day. Im not sure thats entirely normal :) Thats on top of my regular T.

11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      They say it is.... I get like twice a day where my T spikes up for like half a sec then goes back down. And then i get the fleeting T where its a different tone and frequency and usually high pitched but then a few times i got this fleeting T where it was a really low humm... That was scary.

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Huh, I had been calling this a "threshold shift" (I think I saw that term somewhere). But "fleeting tinnitus" definitely is what I was talking about. It was really scary the first couple times, but now it doesn't bother me because it always goes away very quickly.

I don't get it every day... maybe once a week max. I never had it before I had chronic tinnitus.

13. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Happens to me too, scary!

14. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I get this often, probably once a day. Scary, but it usually goes away after 10 seconds or so.

15. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Oh how I loathe you!!!
      I just had a bout of this in my left ear - super loud high pitch and lasted a good 2 minutes.
      I'm shaking now even thought it's died down. They make me so anxious :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      They're very normal... I had a bad one today too... Not worth stressing about TST

17. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      It's just so scary in the moment wondering if this will be the new "normal"

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Understandable.... But they call it fleeting t for a reason... But I understand 100%
      Hugs

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I also have them periodically for no apparent reason. Loud, piercing but brief sounds. As with all things tinnitus, it's best not to react to them. They may or may not go away, but reacting to them will make them worse.

Overtime, however, mine have become less frequent and I think this is from my ignoring them.

20. Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      Just wanna add to the statistics:

I have had it my whole life as far as I remember. I never feared it, but when it occured, I panicked a little and halted whatever I was doing, waiting for it go go away, and then started breathing agian, when it had vanished.. Because, what if..

Oh well, I ended up winning the prize anyway. But it was not because of fleeting tinnitus

21. Frankenstone

Frankenstone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I experienced fleeting tinnitus Monday this week, it was a pretty loud tone and a significant muffled feeling in my right ear. The tinnitus noise went away relatively quickly, within a minute or so, but the muffled/stuffed ear feeling didn't go away completely. I became quite scared of this as I'm really anxious when it comes to my ears and my hearing. Now, a few days later I still have a slight stuffed feeling in my right ear and I feel like I hear ever so slightly less than usual and my own voice seems a bit lower in my right ear. Ironically enough, the tinnitus I had in that ear since earlier seems to have decreased a lot, I barely hear it now even if I try to listen for it in a quiet room.

Then just recently today I had this fleeting tinnitus and muffled hearing in my left ear instead, not once, but twice within just ten minutes or so. I of course started panicking due to this because just having issues with my right ear is more than enough for me (although it definitely isn't a significant muffled feeling or significantly less hearing in my right ear, but I think about it all the time). It went away within a few seconds however and it seems to have gone back to normal. My right ear on the other hand still feels a bit weird. If I pop my ear a lot it can occasionally feel a little better, but the stuffed feeling doesn't go away completely. I got my ears inspected yesterday and I did the tuning fork test, nothing unusual on either ear with that and when put on top of my head I felt like it was pretty symmetrical (I didn't notice it being panned left during the time it was vibrating at least). My ear drum looked good (he mentioned it at most looked ever so slightly bulged one way, but I was blowing air into my ear and evening out the pressure while he checked as he told me, so I don't know if he noticed that while I was doing that) and there was no wax causing the problem. He told me to keep my node clear and he said it could either be due to the fact that I've had a stuffy nose recently or due to liquid behind the eardrum, although my ears felt just fine before this started this Monday, so I definitely feel like there's a connection.

I have had a stuffy nose recently and I feel like there's a pressure inside the ear often. Should I wait longer and see if this goes away or should I be worried? As of right now, I'm already really worried that it won't go away.

22. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

Had these forever but only started bothering me recently when my tinnitus got worse.

One ear would sound normal til I noticed that hey it was like a low ocean sound, then it would go silent and I'd feel like I was deaf as the other ear would go high pitched then slowly die down over the next 30s. Always scared it would stick but it never did.

Since my T worsened a few months ago this still happens but the pitches/tones/frequency are different. I don't know what to call it but it sounds higher than it did before. Not sure why that could be... anyone else get that? It's the new norm for me I guess. And these can sometimes stick around for half an hour.

23. Frankenstone

Frankenstone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My sudden hearing loss has kind of stuck, most of it came back within a minute or a few minutes after it happened, but I still have a slightly stuffed feeling even now a few days after it happened. I don't know if it's due to my nose being stuffy or not, but I'm sure as hell scared.

24. Frankenstone

Frankenstone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My right ear's frequency curve seems to be a bit different compared to my left ear since I started noticing this and the muffled feeling persists, although I managed to pop my ear a little while ago and it suddenly felt better, although things still sounded a bit different.

Doesn't anyone here know what I should do about this or what it could be?

25. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Call me crazy .. but I have tinnitus for a year mines in one Ear sometimes it goes away .. it sounds like electrical noises like I can hear my brain working but my question is I sometimes get real tinnitus like my ear starts ringing briefly .. over my tinnitus for only a bit like if u heard a gun shot it leave a quick ringing sound and go away does any one else experience this .. does this mean maybe the tinnitus is not from my ear since my ear rings on top of it .. its so wierd to explaine lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @Hottopic29 This is known as fleeting tinnitus. It's nothing to worry about. Everyone gets it, even people who have no chronic tinnitus.

27. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I think I keep getting this too lately. lasts for like seconds doesn't it?

28. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Dude, I know exactly what you're talking about! I have that electrical feeling, like TV static all the time, then I get this 'pull' on the right side of my head with a fleeting T that lasts for like 10-20secs. Mostly get it in my right ear but happens in the left too.

29. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      It varies but for me it's never been longer than a few seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Same I think the electrical feeling from my head tho and fleeting t.