Loud Tone for a Few Seconds — Fleeting / Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Have You Experienced Fleeting Tinnitus?

1. Yes, even before I got chronic tinnitus

2. Yes, only after I got chronic tinnitus

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      i got fleeting tinnitus really bad a few nights a go, it happened in my left ear which i have only just got tinnitus in, it happened 10+ times in one evening. But it hasn't happened since then. But it is terrifying when it happens multiple times in a short space of time that's for sure.

2. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am glad to have found this thread. I've had TST for as long as I can remember, long before my T set in, and I've always wondered about it.
      Mine is unpredictable, but maybe once every month, one ear suddenly rings for 5 seconds and fades away.

I am not alone after all! For whatever reason, this has never caused me any worry. Perhaps because it was there before my T started.

At any rate, I'd say it is nothing to be concerned about, based on my very unscientific observation that there is no connection between my TST episodes and the behaviour of my T.

3. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      In my opinion, TST is induced by short temporary chemical imbalance in inner ear fluid. Everyone who i asked, had experiences with TST. Me too - before acustic trauma, maybe once per month, always in same tone (always with temporary impaired hearing) . Now i have TST more often and on different freq (but often without temporary impaired hearing!!!).

4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, oh...what a bad night I had! you know when you get fleeting tinnitus..the super severe tinnitus you get that lasts 10 to 30 seconds before disappearing? Well for the first time ever tinnitus woke me up at 2am, super severe fleeting tinnitus in my left ear...shot up in bed wondering what the hell was happening! The tonal EEEEEEE type that couldn't get any louder, well it was still there after a minute, went down stairs really scared, 10 minutes later it was still there...I thought to myself oh f#*+! Ive developed super severe tinnitus in my sleep! It finally went down but it took half an hour! I was pacing around the house like a madman....so scary!

I thought about anything I had done differently and 2 days ago started taking a zinc and copper supplement, I don't know if that is the cause but I'm not taking it again, its the stuff of nightmares! Thankful it went back down.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Mick.

Just wanted to let you know I have had this happen numerous times in the exact same way. Super loud fleeting style t that wakes me from my sleep and takes up to an hour or more to subside. Usually I somehow manage to cry myself back to sleep and low and behold by the morning it has gone back to the norm.
      I really believe this is to do with the Eustachian tubes. I think maybe in the night as we are not swallowing etc which usually clears the tube sometimes they get blocked and/or laying on the pillow a certain way sometimes pushing into your ear may cause the E-tubes to be at unequal pressure......either way the disturbance in your E-tubes causes this temp louder t and then when the e-tubes clear it returns to normal level.

This is just my theory of course. I base it on the fact I have had Eustachian tube pressure issues in the past from using earplugs in a bad way (keep pressing them in building up pressure) and when my e-tubes went weird from that I got the exact same type of long lasting fleeting t.

Anyway, hopefully that may put your mind at rest :)
      Rhea x

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Rhea, thanks for your reply, you might be on to something! Yesterday I was walking my dog through fields, heard in the distance them gas cannon type things that farmers use to scare the birds away, so I put these little tree type earplugs in. What I did while I was walking to the road was I kept pushing in the left earplug! It's so funny you mentioned the built up ear pressure.

It happened before when I tried do the valsalva maneuver, my ears didn't pop and got severe tinnitus in the left ear for about 2 hours after, never tried that again! Must have been unequalised pressure like you say.

As long as it is temporary it's all good, thanks again. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey All... Im really kinda panicking
      Right now.. My T is very very quiet almost un audible in a room with some
      Noise.. And i experience "fleeting T" once or twice everyday.. But about 20 mins ago my right ear rang loudly.. Then it did it again about ten minitues
      Later and then 1 minute later same pitch and loudness. So thats 3 times almost in a row that its happened today. Its gone now.. But i keep worrying its gonna do that all day!!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      couple of months ago it happened many times in two days. now it hasnt happened in many many weeks.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Thats how it seems for me in the beginning like 3 monthes ago.. But now
      Seems to be happenin at least twice a day in the past week.. But based on what ive read from everyones post.. Seems normal right?

10. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I read somewhere that it's just the ear fixing some chemical imbalance in the balance liquid or something. it's normal

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I get it more when I bend down or somehow exert pressure that goes up to my head or if I watch TV or get exposed to someother highpitch or frequency noise I get it. I've been avoiding these things and have had great relief from it. Still happens but not as often.

12. here2help

here2help Member

Grace,

Transient spontaneous tinnitus comes on suddenly and unpredictably in one ear, lasts for a few seconds, and fades away. The name for this type of tinnitus has to do with how it comes on out of nowhere and doesn’t last. It sometimes occurs in a quiet setting. While it lasts, this generally high pitched tinnitus is louder than a person’s usual tinnitus and hearing may be very muffled in that ear. Some people feel some fullness in the affected ear.

Erlend, its cause is unknown, but people in the field generally agree that it is not associated with an underlying pathology or that it is a cause for concern about a person’s hearing.

Some find it unnerving, especially at first and particularly if it happens when we are having a hard time with tinnitus. Although it is a very common experience, and can even happen to people who do not otherwise have tinnitus, some of us may believe it is a sign of damage. It isn’t. Some of us also believe things must be getting worse when transient spontaneous tinnitus happens more often. Fortunately, things aren’t getting worse.

This form of tinnitus often stops happening at all over time.

The best way to stop feeling anxious or frightened of it is to assign as little meaning to these momentary sounds as we can.

Grace, no matter how often it occurs, people who have had their ears examined before and after this sudden, momentary ringing occurs, show no sign of ear damage.

here2help

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Mine does that too. Come to think of it, my ears have done that ever since I can remember. I agree with here2help, no need for concern.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have only had t 3 months. I used to get fleeting t before, once in a blue moon, and quieter. Since I've had t, the fleeting t has been more frequent and louder, although still only lasting a few seconds. It usually happens when I feel my sensory system is overstimulated, with one pitch t in one ear, and another pitch t in the other. It is almost as if the brain is trying to equalize the ears when overloaded. The same thing happens when a mic feeds back when too hot against the PA system, ie. overstimulated.

15. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Thankyou:) you made me feel more better about it now!

• Like Like x 2
    16. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I get the periodic 5 second spike it freaks me out but then it goes back to baseline.
      Thank God

17. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yesterday 2 attacks, one in morning and second in afternoon. Today 2 attacks, first in morning and second now. All of them in right ear. I don't like it, something is wrong. Usually i had one attack per week. WTF...

18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I was havin like 3 per day and then it stopped for a week then 2 days of it once then yesterday none... So i think ot just pops up randomly but does scare the shit outta me too

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      There's something surprising in what everyone describe as fleeting tinnitus, my fleeting tinnitus are barely noisier(and my hearing is not impaired while they happen) than my regular tinnitus(i hear it mostly in very quiet room).

my brother on the other side got the very noisy fleeting tinnitus and becomes deaf while it happens.

20. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      That use to happen to me too alot way before i got permanent t.. Id go deaf like a few secs and just eeeeeeee.. Now its eeeeee for a few secs usually louder then my t and sometimes it gets ridiculous loud

21. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma

I am attacked by both types, most of them are fleeting T + temporary deafness, sometimes happens it without temp. deafness. Yesterday morning FT+temp.d and afternoon only screaming w/o d. Today both with temp. d

I have feeling, that my fleeting T is connected with more stress or anxiety. (I am stressed, cause visit Dentist monday and my chronic T is worse after dental work.)

22. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I think fleeting t is just a side effect of stress too and nothing to worry bout i noticed it happened alot after i got my permanent T cause im more stressed out.. And my gf and lil sis are always having the fleeting t too so i try not to worry bout it when it happens but its more or so impossible to not worry that your T is getting worse or something but since alot of people experience it T and without then guess its a part of life

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      I've been getting fleeding t for the last 3 days one on each ear ( the good ear also get it ) haven't change a thing other then my nasal spray was low and I just refill yesterday I'm worried

24. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I'm new to this T thing and I've had T for about two weeks now and I've been taking it one day at a time and trying to focus on my school and eating full meals again and the things I used to do before this all happened and just now (in the ear with the T) there was a very different and loud high pitched ring that lasted about 30 seconds and went away and when i pressed against that ear I heard a faint buzz like a bee that lasted about a second and went away. What the heck was that? I don't want to have multiple tones in my ear!

What do you guys think it could be? I'm kinda freaked out right now.

25. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Fleeting t very common. Won't do anything to make your t worse most of us get it and then it goes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hello derpytia,
      I am so glad you have asked this question. Not so much in regards to the fleeting tinnitus, but in regards to the buzz you heard in your ear when you pressed your ear. At least 70% of the time I can press my ear closed and I hear a different buzzing sound like that of a dying insect; refer to my introduction. This can last as long as 30 seconds or as little as 2 seconds. It totally stops/ starts, unlike my 24/7 tinnitus. Does anybody else experience this?

Kind regards
      Miss Lavender.

27. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the board, derpytia. Don't worry too much. If your T is fleeting, it is better than T that stays forever. But even if it stays, it is still livable. Many T veterans here can tell you that their T still rings loud but the don't care about it any more and life goes on. I am 5 years into T. I used to suffer immensely with super high pitch T 7/24. On top of that I have severe hyperacusis which turned all normal sounds piercingly hurtful. I was also anxiety/panic prone long before T & H hit. So I was having panic attacks daily, even hourly at the start. Life was dark and lonely for me and I had to depend on meds to survive.

But like many others, I am back to normal. Don't give a dime about T high or low. If you read up the success stories, you will find many people get better over time. Many have completely habituated and T has no more impact on their lives. So don't worry too much. Your T being so new may just go away or fade. Even if it stays, you can get used to it. Seek out alternative treatments like TRT, CBT etc to see if they help. Also get some masking so you can block some ringing off. Do read up the success stories to get some hope for your future. If you want, you can also ask Dr. Nagler questions in the Doctor's Corner section of the forum. God bless and take care.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    28. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      derpytia
      Those used to happen to me a lot; I have somtaform T caused by physical problems in my upper cervical (C 5/6/7 are lacking cartilage). Sometimes (at night) my neck would contort the wrong way and my whole head would 'scream'; so I'd wake up and move my neck to a better position and it would go away in about 30 seconds.

I purchased a nice pillow that helps keep my head/neck in the right position (helps a lot). It still happens sometimes, but not nearly as much. This isn't the one I purchased but here's an example; http://www.destinchiropractor.com/retail-products/cervical-pillow/ .

Also, a trip to the 'crackto-practor' might not be a bad idea; I know I do better when I'm all lined up...

Mark :)

29. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      i love you billie for this!:thankyousign:

30. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I get that fleeting T too--in both ears--not just the ear with the T. It doesn't last long and doesn't seem to aggravate my T .

Welcome and I hope your T resolves itself but if it stays, you will be okay. Listen to billie and other veterans on this board. They have helped me tremendously.

• Agree Agree x 1