Loudness of Glass Breaking?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ryant, Mar 4, 2017.

1. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone know how loud (dB) the sound of shattering a large glass jar against a solid floor is? Today a friend accidentally dropped a large jar right next to me in a kitchen.

The sound was the loudest thing I've heard since I got tinnitus. I worry an event like this that's out of my control will make the tinnitus worse.

I'm always super cautious about not being around loud noises and I protect my ears, but in this case there wasn't a damn thing I could do to prevent it from happening, other than to not have the one single friend I do have where I live.

2. Michael Sullivan
      Breezy

Michael Sullivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's probably around 105 decibels. I too avoid loud noises.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That sounds about right I guess. My ears are so loud right now. I hope it's anxiety and not worsening. I have mild hyperacusis as well so it wasn't pleasant. Goddamnit I wish there was something to help with this :(

4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I've (and everyone here) had many of these encounters. It feels loud, and was probably pretty loud, but not enough to permanent damage your ears further.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I've accidentally dropped glass or things like that too, one time someone dropped a glass in the sink next to me and it shattered. I was scared to death and the sounds was superloud. But I think that it sounds a lot louder to us due to our constant fear of noises and when it suddenly happens anything remotely loud, our brain go into full panic mode. I think it was loud but it is only for a second (its not like it is a gunshot!) and we are taken by suprise + anxious mind which just makes it sounds a lot worse that is really is. Not saying that your fear or emotions are not true or something like that, it is just something I've observed in myself. Don't worry, it happens to us all and I've not had a permanent worsening from those events. Most noises are most dangerous in prolonged exposure unless someone fires a gun next to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      At work, someone smashed a whole pallet load of laboratory glassware when it tumbled onto the hard floor and I was within a metre from it looking the other way, so I didn't see it coming.. That was proper loud. My anxiety went through the roof but it didn't make any permanent change to my already super loud tinnitus.

7. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      Today I accidentally dropped a glass on the floor and broke it. It made a really loud sound. I am scared because of my hyperacusis and tinnitus. I have had worse tinnitus for two days and I didn´t need this on top of it. Now I am just really worried this causes a setback.

8. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      That can be loud. I'd recommend to load up on some Magnesium and 2x600 mg NAC for a few days, just in case. What is done is done, try to not worry too much.

If it happened when you handled the dishes, I'd recommend to use double protection since accidentally dropping cutlery or glass can make very loud albeit brief sounds.

I'm in a really bad spike currently, so I know how it feels.

Hope your spike gets better soon,
      Stacken

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      This.

You'll experience worse than this breaking glass in the future.. and I'm sure you'll be fine too.

But I can't blame you, I checked that thread after a similar incident myself. Of course everything was fine afterwards.

Your spike may be anxiety induced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It has happened to me and this did not cause a lasting setback in my case.

• Friendly Friendly x 1