Low Frequency Tinnitus from COVID-19 Infection?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hawk2345, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Hawk2345

Hawk2345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection, Loud Noise Exposure
      Hi all, I will try to be brief here - I have a long tinnitus history that I may share in my bio someday. I could really use some advice and support right now though.

I'm recovering from my first round of COVID-19 infection, it's day eight since onset. I've had a new sound in my head, I think in my left ear but it's difficult to tell, it might be both. It's also tough to describe:
      • A low hum that almost feels like it's vibrating either in my head or my ears
      • It rumbles low and increases in frequency, turning into what almost sounds like a distant airplane engine
      • The noise stops when I hear certain other sounds - a fan motor, talking, loud enough music, for example - but starts back up with the low rumble and into the engine sound upon stopping external sounds
      • The rumble persists today through most music - this is new as of today. Yesterday it all stopped; today the rumble persists and only the engine sound stops and restarts
      • I took a Sudafed yesterday and it seemed to almost stop the sound after about one hour, and lasting a couple of hours, but the sound returned by bedtime
      • Going for a slow walk today also seemed to reduce the sounds during the walk and briefly after, but they were back after a short while
      I remember hearing the engine noise at bedtime a night or two before testing positive, and thought nothing of it. It's become difficult to ignore and to focus on things. Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm hoping it's just inflammation due to COVID-19 affecting blood flow, or irritated ear drums from blowing my nose, and that it will go away once I've recovered. I'm scared there's lasting damage and I'll have a new sound to deal with for my life.

I already have "regular" high-pitched tinnitus of different levels and frequencies in each ear. I also get pulsatile tinnitus occasionally, especially with an upper-respiratory virus or infection. This noise sounds different and behaves differently than the pulsatile sounds I'm used to.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I look forward to any ideas.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. olu

olu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi,

I have had something similar twice. It sounds a little bit like a problem with the Eustachian tubes. Please double check your hearing. Ask your audiologist for an interpretation. If you see that low frequencies are down, not due to sensorineural hearing loss but rather due to conductive hearing loss, it might indicate that this is due to a problem with the Eustachian tubes. At this point do not worry about it because it might resolve. What helped me was Xylometazoline nose drops (after about 1 day it has resolved 100% each time). Do not exert yourself physically too much during these days, especially not on the side of the infected ear.

Good luck.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawk2345

Hawk2345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Olu,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am now on "day 10" after showing COVID-19 symptoms. My ears are not better yet. I have scheduled an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow to start looking into it. I hope it resolves - the new noises are very tough to get used to. Thankfully, I'm able to sleep with a fan that seems to stop the drone noise and partially stop the rumbling.

I'll keep taking it easy for a while and report back with any updates. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawk2345

Hawk2345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quick update - my doctor thinks (hopes?) the new tinnitus noises will go away once I'm all better. Unfortunately, I think I'm having a COVID-19 rebound - new symptoms and positive tests again after getting better for a few days. I'll say the new tinnitus was getting better, but not entirely gone, for a few days. It's back to being loud again now. Here's hoping it goes away.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      Hi Hawk, I hope the recovery process is going well. Steaming and nasal spray can help.

Are you going to visit an ENT or is it not necessary?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawk2345

Hawk2345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Johan, and thank you.

I'm currently on my second round of "Day 9" COVID-19 recovery since my rebound. I tested positive (very lightly on the test) yesterday still; otherwise, general symptoms continue to improve.

I have not experienced the droning noise in a few days. The low-frequency rumble is still there, but I'll say it is much less than before. I've had times where I don't notice it (but it's there), and other times where it is actually gone, even in silence. When it is there, it still stops with external sounds like fans.

I'm going to wait a week or two after I'm no longer testing positive and/or no longer experiencing my other symptoms, in hopes that the new noises go away for good. If they don't, I do expect to visit an ENT.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      OK, you seem positive. And you also have to stay positive. Stress and worry are bad things for recovery from tinnitus.

Take your time and rest. And stay healthy!

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawk2345

Hawk2345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm about 4 weeks out since I tested negative for COVID-19. The humming has not stopped. I also have a handful of other symptoms that are relatively mild, and slowly improving, but still persist. The humming sound is about the same as it was in my previous post - sometimes loud, sometimes not, still stops entirely with external fan noises. I have gotten more used to it, but it is definitely very frustrating.

I think it might be time to schedule an appointment with at least my general doctor to start looking into it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Just caught up with a friend whose son works in TV production and has come down with debilitating low frequency tinnitus and hyperacusis after having COVID-19 twice.

In a UK study, 2 percent of people reporting issues after the vaccine reported tinnitus, whilst of those reporting issues after a COVID-19 infection, 6 percent reported tinnitus.

I hope anyone still weighing up the pros and cons of the vaccine finds this information useful.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hawk2345

Hawk2345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had an ENT visit the other week. They ran basic hearing tests and since my hearing was great, they didn't test anything else. Nothing very interesting on the tinnitus front (with either high-frequency or the new low hum, which is why I went). The low hum has some days where it seems almost gone, but others where it is very noticeable. I plan to give it a bit more time before asking for more tests or anything.