Low Frequency Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rachel Murray, Jul 17, 2014.

1. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      I really hope so. Because it never used to be this loud before. I’ve started doing nasal rinses because I feel like my Eustachian tubes may be messed up due to all the flying and Valsava maneuvers I have done.

Do you think the Susan Shore device could help this kind of tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      I don’t know much about that. I’ll only pay attention to upcoming treatments if in desperate need of hope, otherwise it’s important to just move forward positively until they happen.

Just know I’ve been in your exact position where the hum was full blast, non-stop (in between any noise) for weeks. And I haven’t had that for maybe the last year.

So your hope can be in future changes in your body for now. It may change in a matter of weeks. But having that hope allows you to stop focusing on it for the time being and putting attention back into more important parts of your life til that happens.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. bkk97
      Sleepy

bkk97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatic (ETD) or SSRI induced
      Does anyone else have low-frequency tinnitus that is not extremely low-pitched like a vibrating motor, but is in the 150 Hz to 350 Hz range, like the sound of a vacuum cleaner for example? In my left ear, where I have mild ETD (random popping and crackling since 8 months), I hear a low-pitched tone in this frequency range. Usually the pitch shifts back and forth and it sounds like “wooo-weee-wooo-weee-wooo-weee”. Sometimes it is a constant "wooo" sound and sometimes it is intermittent with extremely short pauses in between.

So the sound pattern and the volume fluctuate greatly. During the day it is either 1/10 (but reactive) or disappears completely. At 10pm, when I go to bed to sleep, the loudness starts to increase very slowly. I take 7.5 mg Mirtazapine so I am usually knocked out before the noise can bother me, but I usually wake up at 4 am and it is very loud, definitely a 6/10. It feels like there's a vacuum cleaner running in my left ear. So I can't go back to sleep.

It also reacts to low-pitched sounds in the environment, for example my PC fans. So I can hear the same sound patterns but it feels like it is coming from the external noise sources and not from my ear. I also couldn't find the reason for the ETD. No apparent neck or jaw issues. Also no infection and no allergies.

5. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      My understanding is that regular tinnitus can exist at all frequencies. I’ve definitely seen people with it in that range.

However, it generally seems to work differently to what most people call “low hum,” cutting in and out with the slightest sound in that frequency. And sometimes amplifies that frequency.

Yours does have a lot of similar attributes by the sounds of it.

6. Simona
      Sleepy

Simona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had some interesting experiences... I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection last week. The humming promptly completely disappeared, for a little over a week. Due to the infection I then had a high-pitched tinnitus, so not much better. Now that the inflammation is subsiding, the humming is slowly fighting its way back. For me, this is a clear sign that the cause of my low-frequency tinnitus lies somewhere in the ear.
      I think I've read this article before, but I have to admit that I didn't understand it :unsure:

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. davegr

davegr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm new to Tinnitus Talk. I also have a low frequency (80 Hz) hum, in my right ear only. It started at the beginning of 2023 and has occasionally disappeared for short periods. For many years previously I would occasionally experience "fluttering" in the same ear.

The hum will stop for a while after having a bath or after sitting over a saucepan of just boiled water with a towel over my head. It will stop briefly with even low levels of external sound at certain frequencies (with between roughly 160-320 Hz seeming to be the most effective) and when I talk. It will also remain stopped as long as I keep my head tilted after putting a few drops of liquid in my ear. As soon as I straighten my head, it starts up again.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way of recording or have somebody else listen inside my ear, as I believe it's probably a spasm of either the tensor tympani or stapedius.

I've previously experienced hyperacusis caused by the drug Tamsulosin.

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @davegr

Have you been to ENT and had tests on your ears? If not then I think you should, since you've had these symptoms for over a year.

9. davegr

davegr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been to an ENT, who couldn't see anything wrong. I was referred for a hearing test, which was described as "perfect." I also had an MRI to check for tumors, which were clear.

My dentist has referred me to a local maxillofacial department for a TMJ problem, but I don't think it has anything to do with my ear issue, as I've had the TMJ problem since I was punched 34 years ago!

I've just started using Fluticasone daily on the advice of an allergist, who saw that my nasal passage is quite inflamed. I don't have symptoms directly related to that, but it seems that there can be a connection with ear issues.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for explaining the tests that you have had @davegr.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you any advice on what could be causing your symptoms. Hopefully, someone else can.

Take care, and I hope you get some help.

Michael

11. davegr

davegr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've done a lot of experimentation since my previous post, and I've found that the level of the hum in my right ear, as well as the high-frequency tinnitus in my left ear, both seem to be directly related to how blocked my ears feel, apparently due to blocked Eustachian tubes. Repositioning my head can make quite a difference. Sometimes, I have felt fluid moving around in my ear, and the high-frequency tinnitus has changed in character at the same time. Sadly, it does little for the hum in my right ear.

A doctor confirmed the fluid in my ears and told me to use an antihistamine (Cetirizine because we already had it), a nasal spray (Fluticasone), and to do steam inhalation. She says this will open my Eustachian tubes and allow the fluid to drain. I've had limited success so far.

I have an ENT appointment in early May, at which I will emphasize my need for answers and solutions but probably not get them.

I've also tried the following:
      • Saltwater gargle with pre-boiled water (possibly a minor help).
      • Guaifenesin (some help but also made me depressed).
      • Ibuprofen (not entirely sure; may need to retry).
      • Jakeman's chest and throat sweets (they genuinely seem to help but aren't good for my belly).
      • Otrivin/Xylometazoline (may have helped somewhat, but I've only used one dose so far because I'm concerned about the risk of interaction with my ADHD meds and rebound congestion).
      • Otovent balloon (quite effective for helping the ears 'pop' but not permanent).
      • EarPopper (possibly slightly more effective but again, not permanent).