Low Rumble Hum Sound (Like a Car Engine)/Low Frequency Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by cml, Nov 23, 2021.

1. cml

cml Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I need help. I have been hearing a low rumble, like a car engine, in my left ear. It comes and goes at all different times of the day and night.

I also notice it is worse when the TV is at a low volume.

What is this? Does this happen to any other fellow Tinnitus Talk reader? Any suggestions to stop it?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I have it too, but it’s buried under the HF tones.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Search for low frequency tinnitus on here - lots of friends.

4. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      24/7 for over 10 years now... any machine would be long dead but my brain is still going on strong :)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      BTW @Brian P, @valeri, @Kriszti and @cml - I found a new YouTube video that (when played at the proper volume) completely eliminates my hum. Finally it's something better (more melodic) than the spaceship drone noise I had to listen to before ... at least this is meditation music.

Equilibrar los chakras mientras duerme,...

• Like Like x 2
    6. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      @valeri, does yours start and stop with other sounds? Like many others have mentioned.

7. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      There is no way to "stop it" other than time. Unless you did something catastrophic to your ears (like a gunshot or something) you just need to give it time, most likely it will fade in a few weeks/months.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cml

cml Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems to start sometimes watching TV. The neighbor next door has kids and the jumping vibrating of the floors have set it off. Sometimes anxiety makes it worse.

Has anyone found a solution, something that works?

I do not like to hear it at night. I can’t sleep on that side.

9. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Get used to sleeping on the other ear. You can’t just get rid of it. If I could get rid of it I wouldn’t be here commiserating with you all.

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      For me, the low frequency noise has been the noise hardest to get used to because the moment you think it's less noticeable the neighbour's subwoofer sets it off once again, or one of those horribly oversized agricultural machines drives by, as, unfortunately, they do here like 50 times a day at times, and the whole building vibrates for minutes after that... It's brought me to tears many times because my brain just can't get used to this frequency.

Before I got hit with hyperacusis on top of the tinnitus noises I already had, I used to have the radio on low all the time to give my mind something else to focus on than that horrible humming noise. I've got a pair of WNG, too. They don't help with the my high pitch tones but work very well when it comes to blocking anything low frequency.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      It doesn’t stop, it’s only masked temporarily by other low frequency sounds.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Forgot to ask, I know yours is constant, but when it started, was it intermittent? And turn on and off like a switch?

As I'm sure you've read, some of us here have a very unique symptom in which is triggers on and offer by other sounds stops when moving head. But sounds like yours is a clear constant hum and potentially working differently to the way most of us experience it or is that simply what it eventually progressed to?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cml

cml Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I am having a hard time dealing with the low rumble/hum/thumping nose in my left ear.

I have been dealing with tinnitus since August with mostly a high pitch ring in my right ear.

In November the rumble was present and went away a few weeks later.

Now in the last two weeks the rumble is back. I am experiencing anxiety and hopelessness it will not stop. I try to ignore it. It is so loud at night even over my noise machine.

I am scheduled for MRI in two weeks.

Also, wondering if a clogged ear can cause the rumble. My left ear feels clogged at times.

Thanks,
      Christa

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @cml, has the rumble resolved for you? I just developed this yesterday and am freaking out. My left ear now feels very full (usually my right ear is worse).

I'm worried this is hearing loss.

• Hug Hug x 1