Lower Noise MRI — Has Anyone Used Silent Scan MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grant1, May 20, 2016.

1. Grant1

Grant1 Member

Has anyone undergone an MRI with a Silent Scan MRI by GE or some other MRI with noise reducing technology?

2. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      If you wear earplugs and earmuffs (both of which are typically provided by your radiologist) then the dB level of almost any MRI will be reduced to 85-90, which will not hurt you in the short time you'll be in the tube. I had mine in a Siemens machine in a room as small as a closet with no noise padding and it wasn't uncomfortable.

3. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      I specifically went to a GE Silent/Silenz scan, and it felt uncomfortable. A solid wall of noise that was not quiet!

That was today and my tinnitus is louder, which is not a surprise given how the mri felt.

4. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I had a head and neck MRI today and drove to another state as they had silent scan. What a misnomer. It is NOT silent and certainly not only 4 decibles above ambient room noise as claimed by GE. While a little less noisy then regular, it was till VERY loud during numerous scan sequences

5. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      Absolute BS isn’t it. I complained to my hospital for misadvertising, and they completely palmed me off, saying it’s all within safe limits etc etc. Basically they didn’t give a sh*t, and we’re only concerned that they covered their own backs.

6. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Did they claim it was silent scan too?

7. Adf2011

Adf2011 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 (with some remissions)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + autoimmune
      @AmericanJosh How are you doing post-MRI? I am in a position where I absolutely have to do a brain MRI for a serious neurological issue, but I have extremely reactive T and am very worried. I do know that although they can do most basic brain sequences with the GE Silent feature, they often do other sequences in addition, which are much louder. Do you know if your MRI involved some of the non-Silent Scan sequences? Trying to figure out if those are the problem and if a I can just say that I will only do those sequences that are part of the Silent/Silenz package and that will have to be good enough.

8. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The MRI was certainly quieter than others I have had and there were times when the sounds were much quieter than others. I am fine post-MRI and don't think it caused any issues for me.