Lying Doctors

Discussion in 'Support' started by deanalewis, Jun 1, 2015.

1. soundmachine
      Buzzed

soundmachine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      Thanks, I got it was only one....a general surgeon as I posted above.

2. soundmachine
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      No...I was patently clear I was talking about ENTs. Sorry you missed that. But I do find this interesting:

In the corporate sector, between 2002 and 2004, Dr. Nagler was Vice President for Clinical Affairs at Neuromonics (then known as Tinnitech Ltd), and between 2010 and 2013, he was Director of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Services at General Hearing Instruments, Inc, where he helped develop wearable devices designed specifically for Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT).

http://www.atlantatinnitus.com/dr-stephen-nagler.php

Neuromonics is a dud and explains why you do not advocate anything but TRT. No I got it.

3. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Seemed pretty clear to me given that quite a few posts ago he specifically asked you about inviting ENTs or MD's who specialize in tinnitus treatment. :dunno:

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Not as far as I can tell. But good luck in finding an ENT who is willing to post on this or any other tinnitus board.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-retraining-therapy-trt-financial-disclosure.6281/

For the most part I tend agree with you in that regard.

5. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right. There are no ENTs I am aware of who are interested in participating. And there are no MDs who specialize in tinnitus treatment (other than myself) who are interested either.

If the rules permitted advertising and links to websites, then perhaps there might be some interest. But currently that is not the case.

6. soundmachine
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      Ah...it was not in the doctor's corner profile (where it should have been!) but hidden in a thread.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/dr-stephen-nagler.5936/

I genuinely hope you want to help those with T using TRT. It may work for some. Not my bag however.

7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well, that's exactly why I came - to help those who now suffer as I myself once suffered.

I have no profit motive in being here. I have fully disclosed my financials. I guess if anybody here wants to accuse me of lying about it, then that is their prerogative.

To you as well.

Now, like I said, I have nothing further to add to this "Lying Doctors" thread, so I'll back away.

All the best.

8. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Doctors can't cure T. So what are they supposed to say? Even to provide support to T-sufferers, that they will be able to benefit from, may requiere a special understanding of and knowledge about the condition, perhaps even a specifik talent for communication as well. Chronical medical conditions is a bitch.

With T, you're on your own. There are some paths that can be tried out, but they will depend on individual thinking, ability and research. Getting angry on doctors indicates an inclination to depend on them, which in my opinion is utterly pointless.

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you haven't tried it, how would you know that for sure?

10. soundmachine
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      I want to try other modes first (I just know what I read). I like my LLLT and supplements. I just said it was not *my* bag...it may work great for others. If I tried all the other treatments and they did not work, I would go to TRT or CBT.

• Like Like x 1
    11. soundmachine
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      Hey buddy...you need a prescription from a doctor. You can't just buy it on the street corner next to the weed and crack. Some folks on this board need drugs that only doctors can prescribe. Hence, that is why they are frustrated, mad, and have posted here. Read from the top of the thread first.

12. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      As nice as it'd be to have a doc who'd prescribe me anything I wanted, I cannot blame a doc one bit about being hesitant to prescribe something off label.

Think about it, would you if you were a doctor? Please think about this not from emotion but from a realistic view. Let's say you were a doc and you decided to prescribe Trobalt. And say the patient had a serious adverse reaction to it. Imagine the backlash that could come back to haunt you. You might not even be able to practice medicine anymore and that might be the least of your worries.

When we're suffering, it's easy to make it seem like the world should revolve around us and our problems. The reality is the world continues regardless of whether or not we have problems.

13. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Have you ever studied really hard for a test and when it came time to take the test, it suddenly became clear that you focused too much in one area but not the area you're being tested on?

I'm sure this has happened to just about every body at one time or another. As just about everyone on this board had been affected greatly by tinnitus, we tend to judge docs by how much they know about tinnitus. But I bet if you took a survey of docs across the world and asked them what are the most common complaints they get, tinnitus would rank low. Now I'm just guessing. But something tells me that this is the case. With that said, it becomes obvious why their emphasis isn't on it. They're studying what will most likely be on the "test" not what most likely won't.

14. soundmachine
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      That is a good point. But that has to be a case-by-case basis. Docs give benzos, sleeping pills, antidepressants...all without knowing the exact outcome of that particular patient beforehand. An anti-epileptic drug is not different. You don't have to have epilepsy to take it. People with epilepsy do not die on Trobalt. If I were a doctor, I would not prescribe *anything* off label the first visit. I would want to get to know the patient with a full history of previous and current meds, contraindications, etc. There is nothing wrong with off label, but it must be said it has to be given with care. So your point is well taken but you're neglecting the reality that docs do that anyway with other drugs.

EDIT
      Actually, a psychiatrist gave me an off label anti epileptic for T. It was not Trobalt and I did not like the side effects so I stopped the first day (he started with a *very* low dose). And that was on the first visit.

15. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      I have often wondered why T/PT has been put in a category, going by the professional community's dismissal of our suffering, that is, has been so neglected in terms of research and finding a cure? When compared to other health problems for humanity, this one in particular has been retarded towards helping people. Is it that the insurance companies instruct the medical people to ignore T because it is too risky to treat since they are dealing with an area too close to the brain? Is it too risky because too much could go wrong with the complexities of the ear? Is it just ignorance that those who do not understand what is involved with T, physically and mentally for sufferers, assume it is one if those things that can be lived with, so there is no urgency for a cure? I am sorry but when I see all of the medical miracles going on today with the human body and we get the door shut on us in terms of help or MERCY, or at least a damn explanation as to what may be the problem, I am dazed with confusion. I think there should be a week of everyone strapping on some headphones and listening to a recording of various noise intrusions which result in tinnitus or pt. I wonder how many could make it through one dayof living a normal life with this? This is not to try and be pessimistic, becauseI do believe the symptoms of T for some of us get better. But I am still angry at the lack of help from professionals. I have read hundreds of stories from t/pt sufferers and the story ends with the same last line. "Learn to live with it, payment please,"