Doctors Saved Me from Crippling Tinnitus: Oxcarbazepine, Clonazepam and Olanzapine

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by chris a, Aug 20, 2023.

1. chris a

chris a Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know
      I had crippling tinnitus and was hospitalized for 14 days about 3 years ago. The doctors gave me Oxcarbazepine, Clonazepam and Olanzapine. I believe the last two are responsible for bringing the noise down to a level that I do not require hearing aids with a masker. Essentially these drugs saved my life. The drugs have side effects but that is still better than the tinnitus.

The weird part is the Clonazepam and Olanzapine have to be taken at the same time. If I remove one, the tinnitus comes back.

I hope this helps someone out there.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      So when you say gone, you mean like 100% silence?

3. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @chris a, thanks for your story.

Have you been on this cocktail daily for 3 years?

I have suspicion only the Clonazepam is beneficial. Have you tried the Clonazepam on its own?

4. Vadimus

Vadimus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04, 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis, benzo withdrawal, SSRI
      Why do you think the Clonazepam and Olanzapine are responsible for bringing the noise down?

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I'm assuming they tried each alone with the statement, "The weird part is the Clonazepam and Olanzapine have to be taken at the same time. If I remove one, the tinnitus comes back."

And I believe this because benzos don't seem to affect my tinnitus at all. Wish I had had my Gabapentin and Valium prescriptions at the same time to try them together.

6. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      How did you get the doctors to even listen to you or do anything but brush off the tinnitus as a symptom of anxiety?

Who came up with the idea to try those 3 drugs at once, you - from researching on your own and having to ask the doctor - or these doctors who actually went to medical school?

Sorry, I'm seriously jaded at this point and have lost hope, but good for you for finding doctors that can help.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Needs more info. Was there a cause for your tinnitus? How long before you landed in the hospital after the onset? Why these drugs? Etc.