Lyrica Causing Side Effects Like Buzzing/Humming in the Head and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike34, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Does H usually start immediately after a "sound event"? Mine started about two weeks ago months after a possible sound event. Just seems odd, which is why I'm looking into medication as a cause. Has anyone that has used Lyrica had side effects like buzzing/humming in the head and hyperacusis?

2. Many meds can cause T and H.

3. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I thought my H came from a sound event as well, and my audiologist said it was unlikely since it was almost 2 months after an event. She said it probably was from the stress/depression I had put my self into. But yes medication can cause both T&H.

4. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @demi and @Mike34 when here2help was here i recall him telling me that it is not uncommon for H to start after T, or some time after the sound incident occurred.

5. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      It's interesting that you mention that @demi . I often wonder if thats how mine started. Wether it was from the sound event, or the intense stress and anguish that started after. Interestingly enough, since I have managed to get a bit of a hold on my stress i've noticed that my H has gotten a bit better. I'm still waiting to get evaluated (1 WEEK to go!)and then I shall finally be able to see where I stand.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      So does anyone have any experiences with Pregabalin/Lyrica? I read some horror stories on the internet but then recently came across this: https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=12258.0
      "My psychiatrist called up his expert pharmacist and inquired about new drugs for tinnitus. He mentioned a study in Spain where Lyrica reduced tinnitus volume by 60% in most of the patients with severe tinnitus."

I am currently on 300 mg/a day.

7. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Does it help your tinnitus or hyperacusis? Did you get it from a Swedish doctor for treating tinnitus or hyperacusis?

The ones I have met have not been into any offlabel use....

8. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Preg did nothing for my tinnitus and my hyperacusis got better when I stopped taking the drug. In the info leaflet is stated that one of the side effects of Lyrica is actually hyperacusis.

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      What do you mean by hyperacusis? Things sounding "too loud" or "noise induced pain"

No one on this forum describes anything that's why hyperacusis research gets nowhere.

10. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Both. Things were sounding loud (they still do, though not as much) and if it was too much I’d get ear pain. Since the inner ear doesn’t hurt it could be TTTS.

Edit: To put things into perspective. While on the drugs anything above +- 65 dB(A) was uncomfortably loud for me. Now it's anything above +- 75 dB(A).

11. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      How long did you try it for? Did you try or consider Gabapentin as well?

Also, there are other theories for the inner pain than TTTS: https://hyperacusisresearch.org/2016-aro-symposium-pain-hyperacusis/

12. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury