Magnesium Reduces Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bluebrain, Jul 20, 2016.

1. bluebrain

bluebrain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, I eat alot of broccoli and extra magnesium tablets, and I feel a big difference in my hyperacusis. Someone else with the same experience?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I took magnesium citrate for a long time and it didn't do anything to help me. Waste of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      It's hard to say, I think you have to hit it from all sides, supplements, regular exercise, sleep, good clean diet, relaxation techniques, collectively I think all of this can reduce H but resolve it? Probably not.
      The one I haven't really tried enough yet is using white/pink/brown noise daily, I've dabbled in it but not in a structured way really.
      My H is not severe and I can generally tolerate it ok on most days, but I would of course like to be rid of it or reduce it more and I think the white/pink/brown noise apps are the missing link, that hopefully will bring me from 20/25% reduction in H, to 50% or 75% or even eliminate it completely, here's hoping.

4. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think the placebo effect is often what is really at work with a lot of these supplements. That's not meant as a negative BTW. It can work as a form of management, and if it does for anyone they should pursue it and not think too hard about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I take magnesium all the time as a neuro supplement and to help relax tight muscles. In general, it is needed in the body to calm and over-excited nervous system. So, from that super basic standpoint, it could be beneficial for some forms of hyperacusis.

I haven't seen an effect on hyperacusis directly but then again I have not experienced hyperacusis nearly as frequently as I used to.

Who knows? I know that magnesium is good for the inner ears and brain health in general, so I would say stay on it at a supplementary level in any case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      What form of mg are you taking?

8. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @valeri

It's called OptiMag Neuro. It's an mg supplement designed to cross the blood brain barrier. You may need to get this via prescription; I am not sure if it is available off the counter.

9. dana yaks

dana yaks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/13/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head injury hyperacusis and migraine too
      "Hi, I eat alot of broccoli and extra magnesium tablets, and I feel a big difference in my hyperacusis. Someone else with the same experience?"

Yes! My huperacusis is from head injury... It has been 24-7 and severe for over 2 years, and occurs in absence of migraine (also have mild tinitus from time to time, but that's mostly with fatigue or migraine).
      But I found that I need to take a supplement of ... ideally 400 mg a day, but i have trouble tolerating that (GI symptoms, helped by increase fiber) and so 266 mg some days (worked with magnesium alone, but switched to calcium, magnesium, zinc per GI doc rx for side effects).

It's not a placebo effect - e.g. did not get same results with: imipramine, topamax (helped much more with light sensitivity, but i couldn't tolerate it), botox, lisinoprel (which helped with migraine, but i couldn't tolerate it), beta blockers, or migraine rescue meds.
      If you take supplements, talk with your doc first. Magnesium interacts with certain meds, decreases the effectiveness of certain meds, and you can accumulate too much and have problems.
      FYI - i found that less than these minimum doses didn't really work (still really impaired). When I withdraw it (like fasting for colonoscopy and had to skip for 3 days) my symptoms worsen. Not placebo because I didn't realize why it was worse at first, until i remembered i had stopped the magnesium.

Nothing works for everybody. And see a doc to monitor levels/side effects/interactions.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intracellular magnesium function probably has a lot to do with the severity of hyperacusis and all sorts of other sensory disorders, because magnesium opposes glutamate which is a fundamental part of excitatory nerve function.

The connection between dietary magnesium and intracellular magnesium is incredibly complicated, though.

11. davorr
      Cool

davorr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had that experience as well. I tried out different things in the past 1.5 year.
      Magnesium reduces my hyperacusis everytime I take it (max day dose). It is not night and day, but I feel it and hear it.
      It also reduces my Tinnitus: The tone of it is then getting thinner somehow. No drum & bass, just strings, if you want. The Tinnitus is still there, but at least a bit less annoying and somehow further away in my head.

Dear brothers and sisters, I am very curios, if this reaction to magnesium points out what's the real cause of my Tinnitus?

12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have taken Magnesium supplement since onset, and it has not helped my H (or my T)

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      I don't know if it's my imagination, but I had a piece of 12 grain bread this evening (with 10% magnesium per slice) and my tinnitus seems a bit quieter. I'm going to experiment and buy some foods that are high in magnesium and see if it does actually make a difference. I sure hope so.

14. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Mine does not get better from taking magnesium. Mines noise induced. But mine only gets better from slowly exposing myself to lower and softer noises.

But one screw up leaves me with a spike for a week or two. Soo... As much as I wish magnesium was a cure all for me. It's not :(

• Like Like x 1
    15. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      Yes, I think mine gets worse with loud noises too. I had a very loud and stressful day at work the other day, and that night my tinnitus did get very loud, and I could hardly sleep. Right now, my tinnitus is at a "decent" level (lol). I have my TV on at a nice, low level, but then later I'll have to go out into the very noisy world, and I'm sure the tinnitus will go up a bit. Sigh. Oh well, that's life for us tinnitus sufferers.

16. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises
      Yes Mg definitely reduces my hyperacusis. I've had 2 major crises with h-a and both times Mg reduced the acuteness of it and made normal life possible again. It took me quite a while the 2nd time to get back onto Mg and the relief was very quick. I used ordinary supermarket brands both times. But I don't think it helps the tinnitus, which is getting slowly but steadily worse. I believe this is related to exposure to noise, perhaps not just the type of noise that causes a pain reaction in me. But I shall try to find the Mg you're talking about and try that. I think there are different types of tinnitus but this is how mine has played out.

17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think a good diet helps to manage hyperacusis and tinnitus but you cannot expect miracles... especially in the long run. For instance, someone with a bad diet is going to notice a big change after starting to eat healthier but after a while the effect disappears... it is like the body gets used to the good stuff and no longer reacts so impresively. Anyway, it is better than a bad diet of course.