Magnesium Reduces Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bluebrain, Jul 20, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. bluebrain

bluebrain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, I eat alot of broccoli and extra magnesium tablets, and I feel a big difference in my hyperacusis. Someone else with the same experience?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October, 2012.
      I took magnesium citrate for a long time and it didn't do anything to help me. Waste of money.

3. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      It's hard to say, I think you have to hit it from all sides, supplements, regular exercise, sleep, good clean diet, relaxation techniques, collectively I think all of this can reduce H but resolve it? Probably not.
      The one I haven't really tried enough yet is using white/pink/brown noise daily, I've dabbled in it but not in a structured way really.
      My H is not severe and I can generally tolerate it ok on most days, but I would of course like to be rid of it or reduce it more and I think the white/pink/brown noise apps are the missing link, that hopefully will bring me from 20/25% reduction in H, to 50% or 75% or even eliminate it completely, here's hoping.

4. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I think the placebo effect is often what is really at work with a lot of these supplements. That's not meant as a negative BTW. It can work as a form of management, and if it does for anyone they should pursue it and not think too hard about it.

6. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      I take magnesium all the time as a neuro supplement and to help relax tight muscles. In general, it is needed in the body to calm and over-excited nervous system. So, from that super basic standpoint, it could be beneficial for some forms of hyperacusis.

I haven't seen an effect on hyperacusis directly but then again I have not experienced hyperacusis nearly as frequently as I used to.

Who knows? I know that magnesium is good for the inner ears and brain health in general, so I would say stay on it at a supplementary level in any case.

7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      What form of mg are you taking?

8. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      @valeri

It's called OptiMag Neuro. It's an mg supplement designed to cross the blood brain barrier. You may need to get this via prescription; I am not sure if it is available off the counter.