Magnesium Supplements = Making Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MSF, Jul 29, 2019.

1. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      I've been taking magnesium supplements daily for a while now (at least 4 months), I take the DRA listed on the bottle (~400 mg), spread out over the day, or in response to some sort of environmental acoustic shock.

I can't say that the MG has made things better; in fact I usually notice a light spike in my tinnitus shortly after taking it (which I understand is normal with citrate-type supplements). However, what I have noticed is that when I stop taking for a couple days, my H actually seems to get a little better--I get less overwhelmed by sudden sounds and I don't seem to get subsequent pain as frequently. I've noticed this on two occasions now where I've forgotten to take the MG and find that I then am less likely to feel the need to reach for it. This is somewhat subjective, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Anyone else have this experience?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Good question.

I've never noticed any difference at all from taking magnesium. The only supplement I'm reasonably convinced to help is NAC, which I believe helps me recover faster from a spike. It has a while list of other benefits too.

As does magnesium, but does anyone else have any comments?

If you look at my profile page, there should be a public bookmark there for a list of different types of Magnesium and their benefits.

See also this post:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ing-magnesium-citrate-and-zinc-citrate.26627/

3. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm still taking magnesium as I believe it's important for stopping any future tinnitus problems or worsening. But the man thing I take is NAC. That stuff just has too many benefits to not take.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      I have only heard about using NAC for things like acoustic trauma, not reduction of H symptoms, so I'm curious how much NAC either of you take and how often.

I take it only after some potential acoustic shock event (or what at least feels like one to an H sufferer) or perhaps before a night out, and even though it's benefits seem to far outweigh any cons, I still don't feel confident enough about taking it daily due to it's potential as a pro-oxidant (for which there is not really good evidence for or against, I realize). I have read a lot about it and while it seems safe for short-term use, I am wary of taking such a strong supplement daily for long-term.

also, on the Mg front--I am taking Mg glauconate now (used to take citrate) and at least anecdotally, it does feel like it may have some minor positive effect. I notice less pain since I've been taking it, and it may have raised my threshold for loud sounds somewhat, but there is still baseline H for sure.

5. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Back in March of this year I was taking a plethora of supplements. At first I felt better, but then my hyperacusis began to feel ultra sensitive. Foolishly, I had added several supplements to my daily regimen all at once and of course I couldn’t definitively say a supplement had caused the issue (maybe noise). I stopped taking all my supplements altogether at the time.

In the past month I’ve been adding back a supplement a week and seeing how I feel. So far I’ve taken Acetyl-L-Carnitine, NAC, Nicotinamide Riboside (with Resveratrol) and most recently Chelated Magnesium. Since adding the magnesium I have noticed increased sensitivity and so I searched the forum to see if others had the same experience and here I am.

Last night I was especially sensitive and then I woke up at about 4am with a strange new tone I couldn’t localize. It was like a CD in a CD player that won’t trading type of skittering sound. Thankfully, I got back to sleep and when I woke up this morning it was no longer present. However, an old noise trauma tone from around March from a trash compactor incident has cropped up again this morning. So strange.

I’m really disappointed as I was hoping the magnesium would help with my TTTS symptoms. Honestly, they bother me worse than my tinnitus anymore. Ear fullness, tightness, pain, thumping...

Anyone know of any other supplements that they feel have helped with their TTTS symptoms?

6. Milky Way

Milky Way Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caused by stress and music as far as I know
      I don't consider myself suffering from TTTS but I have been subjected to chronic "clogged ear fullness". The best remedy I have found was taking wheat grass powder. It works in a matter of days, quite effective on me.

7. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into it.

8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Regarding magnesium and hyperacusis I am also a bit confused whether it might trigger it in a sense that it makes me more sound sensitive. It's really hard to tell, but as far as I know there is no logical explanation to it.

I use Chelated Magnesium at this point, before bedtime.

• Creative Creative x 1
    9. Milky Way

Milky Way Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caused by stress and music as far as I know
      I have started taking a low dose of ionic liquid magnesium before bed this week and I have noticed too that my ears are somewhat more sensitive to noise. Luckily I am also taking liquid ionic zinc in the day time and this seems to correct this issue. Been taking this supplement for 3 weeks now and I can say liquid ionic zinc is the best thing I have taken in years to strengthen my ears and general well being. Highly recommended!!

• Informative Informative x 1