Major Setback — Spike for Real, or All in the Mind?

Discussion in 'Support' started by washashore, Jun 11, 2014.

1. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Hey good people of TT,

I find myself back in a really low spot after about 2 and ½ months with T. After my initial freak out in the first few weeks of getting noise-induced T, I dug in my heals and tried to face my situation head on. So I educated myself about the dos and don’ts of T and noise exposure - in general I’ve been trying to follow Dr. Nagler’s advice of using plugs only I’m in a situation where I have to raise my voice to speak to the person next to me. Other than that, though, I have continued living life – go out to restaurants/movies (plugs when needed), meet up with friends, never missed a day of work, went on a vacation, drink coffee/beer with friends, etc, etc. I try not to wear plugs in every day situations like while driving or even walking around a busy city (that just seems like overkill to me). I guess you can say I have been trying to live to “Do Nothing” approach to T. I have still had plenty of ups and downs, but I felt like I was making some progress.

Then, this past weekend, I was walking down the street and a souped-up truck passes me and blasts its air horn right next to me (like the kind you’d see on fire engine). Even my non-T friends jumped and covered their ears; it was only a second or two – but absurdly LOUD. I’m not sure if my T increased in volume or not. I think it has, but I also know how powerful the mind can be in the perception of T volume, so I’m not 100 percent sure. Either way, the last few days have been terrible – I'm completely fixated on my T and I’m not sure what my next step is. And I'm concerned that this one second noise exposure has done more damage.

Have any of you with noise-induced T, been exposed to sudden loud noises like this? How has it impacted you? It’s a noisy world out there and I’m tired of being concerned every time that I walk down the street that something is going to wreck my ears for good.

Would love to hear your thoughts… Thanks for listening.

2. I know how you feel. A while ago, I was walking with some friends on the side of the road. A driver apparantly thought we were too close, so he slammed on the horn right next to me, obviously to my discomfort. As to whether or not it increased it, I'm not sure. My T has been spiking, but there are other factors involved. Just try to keep a "this too shall pass" mentality, and you'll get through it. Stay strong bud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Yesterday i ws getting on the elevator, the doors opened and i was greetd by my neighbor and her little dog who gets overly excited to see ppl and starts her high pitched barking. Keep in mind an elevator acts like an amplifier bc of the small space. My arms are full w groceries so it takes some effort to cover my ears.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      washashore
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Thanks guys. When I encounter everyday loud noises (dogs, mowers, trains, fire alarms, sirens, planes, slamming doors, and the list goes on) the rational side if my brain says - don't worry, it's not a big deal and it's very unlikely to have done anything to your T. After all, nobody else even noticed it. But the emotional side of my brain says "holy s@$#, I think that made it worse. Oh no." Then I fixate on my noise for days and days.

I generally consider myself to be a strong willed person, but this T thing is tough. I feel like its slowly transforming me from an outgoing socially active young guy into a neurotic hermit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I am going to say that loud noises do not matter that much, not to me at least. I have even had quiet days after listening to loud music. Maybe that makes no sense ?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      washashore
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @RaZaH

You're probably right. T makes no sense sometimes, which is why it's better to live life and stop monitoring it and avoiding every potentially loud situation. Again, that's the rational side of me talking. WAY easier said than done.

7. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Indeed , "Easier said then done " should be the T slogan. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Think of It like this. If you're not sure it's louder, then it's not. If it was louder, you wouldn't even have to question it. it's all in your head mate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Usually when were exposed to something that scares us we immediately focus on T and our anxiety rams up thinking we caused harm or spike but it could just be all in our heads. Ofcorse there are actual spikes but i think you would actually know if you had one.

• Like Like x 1