Managing the Habituation Process Like a "Project"

Discussion in 'Support' started by Romain_T, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Romain_T
      Bitching

Romain_T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Trauma
      Hi,

After probably the worst 3 weeks of my life (since I got T, 3 hours of sleep despite zopiclone, crawling through the days like a corpse, unable to go back to work...) I've finally got a grip on what to do to live with it.

I've recently seen an ENT who took my problem seriously and she prescribed for a short time benzos ( Bromazepam, somehow the most popular Benzo here in France) to couple w/Zopiclone for a couple of days/weeks, my main goal being, very clearly, "to get a decent night sleep most of the time and be able to resume my work schedule" (and somewhat of a social life).

4 days in, the Bromazepam (yeah, benzos have bad side effects/withdrawal, planning on cutting/stopping asap) has been a real GODSEND. Slept 8hrs yesterday, by far my best night for the last month (and I have been on Z for 2 weeks).

I plan on starting cognitive therapy in the coming days, and my ENT also tries electric stimulation to try and reduce the noise (approximatively a 13.5-14Khz whistle, bilateral but 80% emanating from the left ear).

This leaves me with a couple of questions, since i'm trying to deal with the condition like a "work project" :

1/ Is 8-12 days a good goal to start cutting/stopping the Z ? I'd ideally like to swap it with either melatonin or some valerian root med (less side effects/risk of habituation, etc.) If so, what "light" sleeping aid would you recommend ?

2/ Is the bromazepam hindering any type of therapy i'll try ? Worst thing for me would be "thinking" i'm cured in a few weeks and spiraling back out of control. Once i'm done with the Z, i'll start cutting the B slowly (the pills can be cut in quarters, which should help the tapering).

Aside from those 2 questions, any pointers would be appreciated. And yeah, I know i'd be better off without the meds, but right now this combo is the only thing allowing me to sleep/not feel depressed/get back to work/feel like a human being, so I'd rather continue being that if possible ;-)

2. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I took Clonazepan in the beginning to get back to my sleep cycle. After a while I started to ease it off, like taking it twice a week, or when I was worse off. etc. Took me some months and I still have it at home in case I need it. Don't set a fixed time for it.

You asked for any advice. That's mine: Don't set expectations about the time you'll take for X and Y. You'll find cases of people who did it in a few months, others that took years. Pace yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Romain_T
      Bitching

Romain_T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Trauma
      I try to set goals, yeah, but you're right, I'll try not to be too rigid about it :) Thanks for the (sound) advice !

• Like Like x 1