Manual Ear Wax Removal — Afterwards Tinnitus Spiked

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scott T, Mar 16, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      We will see, unfortunately you probably know chilling is not really easy when your mind is continually racing over a noise :(

2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yep, I know it too well. But worrying and stressing can make it worse (temporarily), just like also being too nonchalant can lead to things getting worse (permanently). :dohanimation:

3. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Every 3-4 weeks just full up a dropper, that's about 2 inches long with hydrogen peroxide. It takes about 2 or 3 full droppers to start working and start to bubble up.

Do it before you take a shower then run water in you're ear... You won't have wax anymore.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      So after almost 2 weeks, the ringing is still there and loud.. doubtful this is a spike and it's my new baseline which is absolutely horrible. I looked at all the anatomical diagrams of the ear and I just don't understand how a manual ear cleaning with minimal wax removal did anything to put me into this spot. He did not even go near my ear drum. I don't see any nerves in the ear canal as everything is behind the ear drum and the procedure was quiet. There is more sound in my bedroom when my dog sleeps and snores.

5. Hissy missy

Hissy missy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      Spikes can last a long time Scott, don’t assume the worst. Mine has thrown me curveballs over the years ... perhaps just one of those coincidences that you’ve noticed an increase after your wax clear out.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      Thanks for all the suggestions but it feels/sounds like this is it. I’m so stupid for seeing a doctor. But what was I going to do, I had ringing in my other ear which was occluded. Anyways it feels like I lost the fight.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      This spike has not subsided. At this point I am convinced that there are nerves in the air canal that can get messed up from a manual ear cleaning.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Kirk naylor

Kirk naylor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Definitely a spike in tinnitus after lightly cleaning my ears manually - settled again after a few days.

9. Yehkyung85

Yehkyung85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      I had manual earwax removal and my tinnitus is much louder. I feel like losing my mind and want to sue this doctor. He didn’t touch the eardrum but I did feel some pressure on the side. I avoided microsuction to not worsen tinnitus but can’t believe this is happening.

Did any of you experience this? Was the tinnitus spike temporary or permanent for you?

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Yehkyung85

Yehkyung85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      Hi Scott, are you doing any better? Did it calm down? I got mine removed and my tinnitus spiked and I’m scared it’s permanent.

11. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, sorry to hear that. I had ear wax manually removed about 6 months ago, and I did have a temporary spike. It lasted about 2 days, although I probably prolonged it by the extra worrying that I normally do when I have a spike. Hopefully yours does too, good luck.

12. Yehkyung85

Yehkyung85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      Brooklyn, thank you... was it super loud?

13. Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, it wasn’t super loud, but clearly louder than usual. In my case, it settled down after 2-3 days. Everyone here says manual cleaning is the safest method. Best of luck, hope your calms down soon.

14. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I had a manual wax removal yesterday. Quiet and safe by a qualified ENT nurse. Fortunately the wax in both ears was positioned more near the entrance so no issues to remove.

My issue is now a spike I have been experiencing since the procedure. I was surprised at the improvement in my hearing.

Would it be possible that my brain is in the process of ‘recalibrating’ now the wax is gone and I can hear better again?

15. Brooklyn NY

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, sorry to hear about your spike. From my own experience, the last time I had a manual ear cleaning, my tinnitus spiked for 2-3 days before going back down to the baseline. Hopefully yours will also. Best of luck.