Massive Nightmare While Sleeping

Discussion in 'Support' started by James P, Mar 15, 2015.

1. James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      So just experienced the worst nightmare of my life. My dream basically just starts with me in bed for half a second before noticing blaring sounds of a jet engine drive me into primal terror and confusion. Like i was just born into hell. I'm screaming bloody murder, my visions going red and cracked and i run outside trying to escape, but fail. The sound is everywhere.

Brain struggles to come up with a rational for it. I see a car coming that turns into a reindeer that i grab trying to fly away or at least feel better by flying. Then i get the idea that im dreaming because i fell asleep at work, and the sound is from a noisy machine. This calms me down a bit. Crash land into some coworkers outside my house.

I wake up at this point finding out the sound was my fan. I feel an intense need for silence but then i remember i have tinnitus and just felt lost. I dont think I can possibly go back to sleep after this.

I experienced something similar once before, same terror and sound caused by my fan, was bodyless in a shimmering void though in that dream. It was better that time because i had silence to offer relief upon waking when i turned off the fan.

Strange i never really heard people mention hearing tinnitus in dreams. I have had a couple nightmares where i honestly hear my tinnitus since this started.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Oh Ya...I hear it a lot in my dreams lately. And if I don't hear it in my dreams I'm dreaming about my ears.

Maybe try no fan? Your T can't be that loud if the noise of a fan helps mask it?

3. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      It's normal to have bad dreams,or nightmares at the early stages of t I still get them from time to time I think we all do.Im sure it's do with feeling overwhelmed by t.
      I also hear my t sometimes in dreams not nearly as much nowadays.at the offset used to wake me up all the time,
      blasting through the roof but over time gets better,if it wakes me up now I acknowledge it then try to shrug it off not easy but gets easier.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      Yeah, i switched from fan to white noise app on tablet cause the fan was probably too loud. The tinnitus is mild, constant hiss and beeping. Somehow i hear it all the time though because my brain finds it nearly all the time and if it cant i still notice sounds arent right anymore. Managed to get to sleep again for a bit later on luckily. Tinnitus really has overwhelmed my thoughts.

I didnt really live for anyones sake but my own happiness which is making it hard to see a reason to go on. But i told myself id give it a year at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think such dreams are a good thing because they are giving you a chance to directly experience and even interact with parts of oneself which are usually hidden from view and difficult to access even in the midst of strong meditative efforts to do just that.

There is an entire school of yogic buddhism based around this principle, and the goal of the practice is to achieve absolute lucidity in the dream space, to an extent where you can (in the dream) sit and use the time to meditate.

I'm nowhere near any significant progress in this regard, but have already seen a dramatic shift in my response to nightmares. The last two times that I have been faced with gory, unpleasant images of death and dismemberment, I have been able to relax into it and resolve the emotional unheavel within the context of the dream itself. Waking from this experience was remarkably refreshing.

Periodically I have dreams where I become aware of my tinnitus. Sometimes it's a drag, sometimes it's no big deal and even provokes a sense of curiosity, like "this sound is coming from my subconscious mind, and I'm walking around INSIDE of my subconscious mind... cool! Let's see if we can figure out where the sound is coming from..."

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      @linearb Yeah I do enjoy dreams and nightmares. It is fun upon waking to analyze them and the emotions I felt. Actually almost never had nightmares since I was a kid, things just gradually stopped scaring me.

I purposely tried to induce nightmares sometimes when I achieved lucidity to experience fear again, but whenever I did I always confronted whatever terror I came up with and just felt disappointed, because I was in control. Nightmares have different meaning now since I actually am scared of tinnitus and hearing damage, and waking up from a nightmare is different since relief was instant but it's like going from one nightmare to another now.

My favorite dreams are the ones were I play out some kind of made up story in a setting unrelated to my life. My creative side doesn't really get enough of a workout so it's a nice experience. Lucid dreams are also fun but I find I quickly run out of ideas of things I want to try beyond flying and just let the dream take over again. Meditating in a lucid dream does sound like a great experience though. I'd like to try that, if it's anything like meditating in silence while awake used to be for me. Some kind of guide out there? I never practiced any kind of lucid dreaming it just happens now and then.

7. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      So far T was twice in my dreams, eh, nightmares. Hate it. Being conscious = nightmare. Only in REM sleep there is peace. My sole existence is now based on REM sleep. :(
      I used to dream that I can levitate, kind of swim, through the air. That was pretty cool. I tried it when I woke but it didn't work. In another dream I could move objects about with my hands. Didn't work either when I woke up.

And here comes the butcher. ;)

Auditory cortex? Crazy neurons in need of data? But you should ever make it there please cause some dismemberment.