May Need to Move Already

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      I have just been living in a new place for one and a half months, and I may need to move already because of noise sources that I did not foresee. Just before that, I had no place because I could not find anything suitable by the time I had to leave on July 1st. I had to rent a hotel room for a month, and that costs a lot.

What happened is that I have been subjected to a lot of airplane noise, but unlike my previous apartment, this one does not block out plane noise as well, and I am closer to the flight paths. These planes sometimes start at 7am! I had not foreseen this. I suppose I did my best; one can't foresee everything. But I have been getting steadily worse for a month, and that worries me obviously.There are other sources of temporary noise, like lawnmowers, drills from God knows where, etc... but I was used to that. I think that the main reason for my deterioration is the plane noise. Yesterday, it did not stop from 7AM to 11PM ! But I was not home all day luckily. Today my h. is really bad, the worse in a long time.

To make matters probably worse (I do not know yet), about 150 metres away, construction will start on a new building for a commuter rail line next weekend. Will the noise from jackhammers, pile drivers, and trucks etc.. be loud enough to enter the apartment even with closed windows, I wonder? This new construction I knew about, but I relied on previous experience in making a decision , and at that time, some construction down the road was just within my comfort level. We shall see what happens.But that may be the final straw which will drive me out, and potentially cost my parents thousands of dollars extra in relocation and moving expenses! Luckily they are supportive.

I also live with a rooommate, an unknown with a mental problem, and so far he has been tolerant, but naturally he likes the windows open when it is hot, and I want them closed. He is one of these people whom heat affects a lot. I am not one of them.So there is some tension in wanting to accommodate someone with normal ears.

I suppose many hyperacusis people have faced similar problems. I would love to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

Thanks!

Marco

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If I were you, 100% I will move to another location.
      I am bothered by the airplanes over my house too.
      They are noisy, especially, the helicopters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Dear Rob Hing:

Have your ears gotten worse because of the plane and helicopter noise?

Marco

4. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      I used to live beside a very active airport - it wasn't only commercial but did lots of military stuff on the end of the runway I lived near and when they had a busy weekend it was awful. They also had a big tanker jet that they seemed to circle the airport with over and over--turns out they were taking turns getting their hours in--everyone complained between themselves but the airport of course, wasn't going anywhere.

When I moved afterwards (this is before tinnitus) there were always things to get used to. Trains, traffic, noisy lawnmowers always something.

But, after a few weeks of disturbed sleep or annoyance, it all begins to blend in and I stopped noticing it. I am in the wilderness now and had banging on the wall near my bedroom window waking me up. It was a beautiful but persistent woodpecker who managed to drill several holes about an inch in diameter into the wood. And, he wouldn't be disturbed either - just banged away no matter what I said (screamed) at him. So guess, I am trying to say that you have to pick you battles.

I still get woken by occassional train clanging or a big truck using their jake brakes -- and sometimes the neighbors down the road have really loud music and vehicles - and the sound travels.

I think, if your roommate is a good person, you should try to get used to the sound for a few weeks - windows open.