Me & My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pat's Studio, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Pat's Studio
      Alone

Pat's Studio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My tinnitis started in early 2000 although I didn't have a name for it beyond "ringing in my ears". By spring, I had my first and worst Meniere's attack......vertigo and related sickness lasted for nearly 14 hours. For several years, tinnitis and Menieres attacks came together and all was "silence" between attacks. In more recent years, tinnitis became an every-day occurance; the volume got louder louder just before an attack. Just this autumn and early winter, Menieres attacks are coming 3X/week on average; tinnitis has become unbearable. Otherwise, in my life beyond Menieres, I am mother to Amy, grandmother to Tony and Tori, partner to Larry, retired and living by the sea. I love reading, films, sewing, quilting, paper arts.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Pat,

Welcome to Tinnitus Talk! I'm sorry you've had progressively worse tinnitus in recent years. Are you receiving any treatment for the Meniere's Disease, and what has your doctor said regarding the increased tinnitus?

I'm glad you've joined us; I'm a grandmother, too!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pat's Studio
      Alone

Pat's Studio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Karen. thanks for the welcome. My ENT has not offered treatments except for liw sodium diet and diuretics which made me dizzy. Also have progressively worsening hearing loss and got hearing aides last summer. Iniatially the hearing aides helped but not in the last 4 or 5 weeks. i am looking for recommendations on a natural diurectic.

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Pat and welcome...

I know little about Menieres, other than what it is. Have you looked for a doc who is an expert in this field? Low sodium and diuretics is basic treatment but I think there may be more options.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pat's Studio
      Alone

Pat's Studio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, LadyDi. i have been giving this idea serious thought. thinking about Massachusetts Eye And Ear in Boston.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pat's Studio
      Alone

Pat's Studio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Actually, if anyone has experience at MA Eye and Ear, i would appreciate hearing about it

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      If you are in the New England area, several good facilities and universities there. My experience had been: go somewhere where they are doing research, not just a large ENT practice. Makes all the difference. Hopefully someone here will know about MA Eye and Ear.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      These folks, who are in Connecticut, are speaking at the Tinnitus Research Initiative conference in New Zealand in March, which says something. Major gathering tinnitus medical professionals

Www.hearingbalance.com

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pat's Studio
      Alone

Pat's Studio Member

Tinnitus Since:

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pat's Studio
      Alone

Pat's Studio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you, Lady Di, for good information. Much appreciated! I just visited the CT website. Had no idea such an organization existed. Tinnitis makes one feel so alone; it is helpful to know TT is here and also such resources as the New England Center.