Medications to Reduce the Tinnitus Volume Just a Little Bit?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SignalExec, Nov 25, 2018.

1. SignalExec
      Batty

SignalExec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/15/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma?
      Hi all

My tinnitus is relatively moderate. It's a slight hiss I should be able to ignore easily. However, sometimes I can't ignore it, and it drives me up the wall knowing it's there.

I have an appointment with an ENT again soon. I was wondering whether I could ask him about medications that are known to reduce the volume of the tinnitus just a bit. I know that there is nothing that is guaranteed to cure tinnitus. However, if there is something that reduces the volume a bit, that might be sufficient in my case. After all, my tinnitus is so soft already.

Are there any such medicines? Anything I could bring up?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Benzodiazepines can reduce tinnitus temporarily but they are highly addictive and not something you’d want to take regularly long-term.

Can’t really think of anything other than that. If such a medication existed we’d know about it. There are also cases where magnesium or vitamin b12 helped someone with tinnitus but I don’t know a universal medication that helps everyone or even most people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      a common mistake for tinnitus sufferers is to make multiple appointments with ENT's, that's honestly pointless, unless it's the first visit outruling a tumor in the auditory system.

They don't even check for hearing loss correctly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Have you tried Ginko Biloba? It's helped some people but not everybody. My ENT told me to take them for 3 months, but unfortunately in my case it's not helping. It might help you.

• Agree Agree x 1